Our Family

April 19, 2021

Sara sat on the cold floor of the Waverider bathroom scrolling through her phone. Ava was on the Bureau, Dani was at school and Brooke was probably running around the ship with Nate. She had just finished a mission with the legends, she would usually leave Brooke with the babysitter but she called in sick today.

She had closed the door to prevent any legend coming in, didn't work out, she soon heard the door open and a set of feet walk in...nope tiny set of feet, it was Brooke. Her three-year-old daughter quickly appeared in front of her, a note taped to her jean overall.

Sara took a glance at the note.

She wanted to see you, but we didn't want to intrude so we sent her in.

-The legends.

Brooke was happily looking at Sara, her hair was down in two braids made by Ava, who was extremely excited when she finally learned how to do it.

"What happened baby?" Sara asks softly at her daughter.

"I wanted you" The toddler whispers, sitting down on Sara's lap.

Sara smiles, wrapping her arms around her daughter. The Captain places a kiss on Brooke's head, her anxiety was going to the roof and her youngest baby being there did help.

Then her phone alarm sounds bringing her back to reality. She takes the little stick from the sink, she nervously plays with the object in her hands for a few seconds before actually seeing what was inside.

She is about to turn it around when Brooke takes it from her hands to examine it. The toddler frowns looking at the stick, she soon gets bored of the object and holds it up for her Mommy to see. Sara takes a deep breath before focusing on the thing in front of her.

"Fuck" She mumbles looking at the result, looking down at her engagement ring.

"Fuck" Brooke repeats laughing, Sara's eyes widen at what her daughter just said.

"No no no no no, don't say that your Mama will kill me" Sara rushes to say.

"Why?" Brooke asks, scrunching her nose just like Ava did.

"Because it is a bad word"

"Why you say it?"

"Because I was surprised" Sara sighs, putting the test away.

"Why?"

"Because I just found out I am having a baby" Sara mumbles almost whispering.

"Where is the baby?" Brooke asks innocently, searching around.

Sara runs her hand down Brooke's back "It is inside my belly"

Brooke frowns once again, she tilts her head to a side looking at Sara's stomach, how could a baby get in there "How?" Brooke's eyes widen in a sudden realization "You eat the baby?"

Sara chuckles her mind temporarily forgetting the overwhelming feelings "No Brooke when two people love each other very much they can have kids, just like Mama and I had you and Dani. Now there is a small baby growing inside me, and when they are old and strong enough they will come out to meet us"

"I was in your belly?" Brooke asks processing the information.

"No, you were in your Mama's belly" Sara explains.

"And Dani?" Brooke already knew Dani was adopted but her little mind couldn't wrap around the full meaning of the concept.

"A very nice woman had Dani in her belly, and once she was out she gave her to us" The older blonde reminds her, of course, she was sugarcoating what happened but she couldn't tell her three-year-old Ava found Dani on the streets during a mission, she would know all of her family's story once she was older.