"Um, yes, well..."

"Mr. Naruhodo," Susato said, fixing him with a steely gaze. They had to convince Lord Stronghart to allow them to stay. They simply had to. There was no way Susato could leave again, not like this.

"Do not misunderstand me," Stronghart said. "I would be glad for the study tour to continue. But it is simply not possible if our terms cannot be upheld."

"Well...if there is anyone else from Japan who could be described as lawyer...it's me," Ryunosuke said, voice unsteady. "I mean, I don't have any qualifications as such, but..."

"No qualifications, you say?" Stronghart said. "And yet you still claim to be a lawyer."

"I've learnt all about British law and court proceedings while I was onboard the SS Burya," Ryunosuke said.

"Yes. I have taught him as much as I could during our voyage," Susato said.

"An education of some fifty days? Miss Mikotoba, you are well aware of how much schooling is needed for a man to become a lawyer in Great Britain. Not to mention the sheer volume of court experience required," Stronghart said.

"I am, Lord Stronghart," Susato said, wariness filling her. Surely he wasn't going to send them away, just like that? All of Susato's hopes, her feelings of nostalgia, her relief to see a kind figure from her past, faltered painfully.

"I realise it's far too short a period of time. But...I can't just go back to Japan. Coming here on this study tour was all Kazuma thought about! I have to carry on everything he planned," Ryunosuke said, his voice steadying as determination surged into his tone. "I would do anything to prove that I have what it takes. Any test you can set me. Just one chance...That's all I'm asking for. Please!"

Silence. Susato's body hummed with tension. She glanced warily from Ryunosuke to Stronghart. But his posture gave nothing away. He was staring at his pocket watch, expression entirely inscrutable.

"Hm, your opening statement was thirty-one seconds long, Mr. Naruhodo. Not too brief, not too protracted. A perfectly judged appeal, I would say. Which is a skill that would stand you in good stead as a lawyer," Stronghart said. "So, you're willing to put those words to trial, are you? Well, I'm all for entertainment."

Susato furrowed her brow. Entertainment?

"But let me ask you one thing first...sir," Stronghart continued, snapping his pocket watch shut.

"Y-Yes?" Ryunosuke said.

"You say you intend to do everything Mr. Asogi planned to do. Are you firmly set on that path?" Stronghart said.

"Well...yes. That's my intention," Ryunosuke said.

"I see...Very well. You have your wish. I'll give you a chance. A test to become a specially certified lawyer. Whether you pass or fail is entirely down to you," Stronghart said.

The vise grip on Susato's chest relaxed.

Stronghart's stare shifted to her. "It would have been a great shame to send Miss Mikotoba back to Japan after all these years, after all," Stronghart said.

Susato smiled and she bowed to him gratefully.

"Tell me, Mr. Naruhodo, what do you consider the role of a lawyer to be?" Stronghart said, turning his gaze back towards Ryunosuke.

"Well, defending people, of course," Ryunosuke said.

"Well said. I see you and Miss Mikotoba are united in your sentiments. So...let's have you defend someone."

Sorrow & Mercy: a Great Ace Attorney AUजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें