Chapter Nineteen

Chapter Nineteen:

When I was thirteen, I had an argument with my mother about refusing to be queen. I had told her that I would never dedicate the rest of my life to a kingdom and stay in the castle walls for years.

I believed that I was destined for more than that.

I still believe that.

But I also know now that I can be queen and still do what I want to, as long as my kingdom does not fall to bits.

When I turned eighteen, I had this plan to travel the world, only to get so far as Norway and Ireland before being crowned queen.

Today, I am still eighteen, but I had found myself ready enough to be queen, even if it meant that I had to fall a few times and scrape my knees. That will be on me for refusing to become queen in the first place and train.

I stare out the window at the village in the distance, thinking what I can do to make it a town like Archer's. I think about how small this kingdom is and if we could have had a bigger one my family and kingdom would not be in this much trouble.

"Aria," I look away from the village and smile at Archer who comes to a standstill next to me, also looking out the window now. "We have to leave soon." He says after a second of silence and I let out a soft breath of disappointment.

"You just got back." I answer and he tilts his head to me. A smile forms on his face as he softly strokes my cheek. "Please stay a while longer." I beg softly and his smile falters slightly.

"I cannot leave my kingdom for too long." I know that. King Reagan had told me about never leaving your kingdom alone. I feel a shiver when I think about that crazy king and his even crazier wife.

This reminds me that I have never talked to Roan about the awkwardness between them.

From there my thoughts go further as I wonder how I can be in love with a king who cannot leave his kingdom and I cannot leave mine. I realise that the chances to even have a future with him is so slim it might as well be never.

"Okay," I whisper, and he has a sad smile on his face now. Probably thinking the same as me. Faith can be so cruel sometimes.

"I had found the culprit who had placed the assassin on my father's back." Archer admits, "After our visit to Ireland. The king is very selfish there and my father found out that he was planning to kill your father, as well as mother, and reign over Denmark. When my father wanted to confront him, the assassin was sent to spy on him. He could have told your father, and when he had written the letter about the assassin, he got killed."

"How did you find this out?" I ask slowly, still trying to wrap my head around this.

"I found my father's letters that he had never sent to your father, as well as the confrontation letters." He looks defeated, and I can just imagine what must be going through his head.

"After the visit, I have been receiving the same threats from the same king, but I am stronger than my father ever could be and had gone to confront the king in person with my army. This is why I have not come to see you." He looks at me, and I can see the slight guilt, "We were almost at war if the king had not bend under my pressure. I had banned him from my kingdom and warned him to stay away." I can see that something is still worrying him.

"I have not received anything yet, and no letters had come for a while now." I try to reassure him, but he does not seem to trust that reassure.

"It could get worse now that you are queen." He says, "I want you to come to me, or send me a letter or something when anything seems off. Send someone even if things get out of control, okay?"