26 || Mothers

Começar do início

One day, this goddess wanted to look upon the people who so desperately craved the treasures of her city. Hades granted her a single day to walk among them."

~~~~ Phil's P.O.V ~~~~ About 24 Years Ago ~~~~

The wind rippled my clothes as I flew high over the fields of golden crop that was ripe to be harvested this week. I scan the ground searching for black feathers and cheeky caws or the yells from a vendor in town as blackbirds take their food.

The crows had gone missing. They weren't in the house when I woke up and they didn't come when I called for them. It wasn't unusual for them to fly about but they never strayed too far. But this morning they were nowhere in sight. 

I land in a corn maze and check the scarecrow. It was the most useless creation I'd ever seen, so useless the crows shit on it. 

My ears perk up as I hear a distant caw in the corn maze. I roll my eyes and head towards it hoping that they weren't eating the corn again. If they damaged the crop I'd never hear the end of it from the farmer who owned the land. 

"There you little shits are, I thought you'd-" I pause when I see what they're doing. 

A lady sits on the fence, crows sitting all around her. She giggles as they cheekily peck one another or pick as some corn that was on the ground. I felt my cheeks heat up; she was beautiful. I couldn't quite see her face under her large black hat but I knew her eyes sparkled. 

"Are they yours?" she asks. I nearly trip over once I realise she's talking to me. 
"Uh yeah, they are. Although, they shouldn't be bothering a fine lady such as yourself," I tip my hat in a manner that I hope is gentlemanly and glare at the crows. If they were people, I'm sure they would be eye-rolling me. 

"They're no bother, I find them rather charming," she says as one of the crows nuzzles into her cheek. The woman chuckles a sound that sends my heart racing even faster. Her voice was silly like honey and had an accent I couldn't place. I swallow and force myself to keep it together. 

"Do you live in the town nearby?" she asks. 
"I live just outside of it," I answer. I probably shouldn't be telling a lady I've just met where I live but my better judgement was long gone. 

"Do you mind showing me around?" she asked bashfully. I nod quickly and whistle for the crows. Begrudgingly, they fly off into the sky, no doubt to spy on us from afar. 

I lead her to the town square first since I couldn't think of any other place to take her. I couldn't take my eyes off her. She looked at everything around us like it was the first time she'd a small provincial town before. She never seemed to touch the ground, she glided down the uneven roads like they were made of ice. Her eyes never stopped sparkling and her smile never wandered from her face. 

"Well, this is our town square. The town is pretty small so this is where everything is-" I'm cut off by the school bell. 

She watches in wonder as the kids run out laughing with their school bags bouncing on their backs. Some of the kids watch her, it wasn't often somebody this finely dressed was in our town. Most kids return home or start playing games with one another. 

I see a small hand reach up and tug on her dress from the other side. Her eyes widen as she looks down at the little girl who'd caught her attention. The little girl sways nervously from side to side. The woman bends down and smiles gently. 

"Hello there," she chuckles. 
"I just wanted to say that I think you are very pretty," the girl mumbles and smiles at the floor. 

I feel my heart melt as my new companion reaches up to take a poppy from her hat.