"JJ, where does she work?"

"I have her placed at 3 different shops around town,"

Hotch nods. "Alright, let's split up and cover the shops and the facility."

"I want to go to New Lives," Spencer speaks up, earning looks from the team. "Whether or not she's there, I want to talk to the father. There are literally hundreds of therapies to help kids through loss, electroshock is not one of them."

Hotch glances at Jane, then back at Spencer. He'd been sending Jane out with Reid for a majority of the case because of their ability to look at things from a medical standpoint in all of this, but seeing Jane's reaction, he was hesitant to send her off again. "Take Rossi."

"I'd like to go as well, actually," Jane's voice comes almost immediately after him, and he looks at her with a knowing stare that she readily meets. "If that's alright with you. I don't think I'd be much help anywhere else."

Hotch looks at the rest of the team, who aren't necessarily curious at her response, just awaiting his answer to the suggestion. His eyes skim over Reid, who seems to look momentarily concerned in Jane's direction, but it quickly disappears.

Looking back down at the woman, he softens his gaze ever so slightly. "Are you sure?"

She nods firmly. "Yeah, of course. It's a learning experience." She shrugs nonchalantly, but he can see through the facade easily. The tight line of her shoulders and slight purse to her lips gave away every bit of stress she was feeling in the moment.

"You'll call if you find anything?"

His eyes drift back to Rossi and Reid at this, and they both nod, the latter of the two still looking at Jane's profile. "Alright. Be careful."

Jane nods once and he turns away, heading for the pile of files on the table to straighten up somewhat. He watches from behind the glass windows of the room as Jane follows after Rossi for the exit, with Reid behind her. He doesn't miss the lingering glances of worry the young doctor keeps sending Jane's way.

──────

Jane thinks the universe might have it out for her. She doesn't really believe in karmic intervention, or the sort of spirituality that can come with it, but she thinks maybe this is an exception.

Because the details of this case are hitting a little too close to home, and she thinks it's audacious to consider it just a coincidence that the first real case she has in her new position in the FBI after returning from everything else that had happened is so similar to what she's been running from her entire life.

Silently pondering the ability of karmic intervention, she follows alongside Rossi and Reid as they make their way inside the inpatient facility, flashing their badges to the secretary who directs them back to Samantha's father's office with a nervous glance.

Rossi takes the lead, knocking twice on the office door before he swings it open, not waiting for a response.

The man sitting behind the desk looks up, his brows immediately furrowing at the sight of the three strangers. Jane quietly closes the door behind them, her eyes scanning the room with an eerie amount of familiarity. Most child therapists' offices tended to look the same, she'd come to realize as she got older. Her bout of them during her childhood had always stuck in her mind, and it unnerved her to find that not a lot had changed since then, if not just more technology and different toys.

"Dr. Malcolm, I'm Agent Rossi, this is Dr. Reid, and Dr. Donovan with the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit. We'd like to talk to your daughter Samantha about some recent activity in this area we think she's been involved in."