Prologue

Please give this story a chance! This is my first time writing on Wattpad. I promise it gets better :) 

---

"Everyone has to start somewhere," Anna chanted to herself. She confidently picked up a pen and grinned at the chef behind the counter. The gruff cook didn't offer a smile back but scoffed, shook his head and tossed some vegetables on the stove. Her smile faltered but not before ripping out the order off her wad of papers and smacking it on the stained silver counter.

"A hot dog, cheeseburger and milkshake!" She hollered over the sizzle in the kitchen.

Just as Anna turned around to face the seating area, a dim chime rang from a makeshift bell that was  strung over the door. She waited a second for the customer to settle down in one of the vintage ice-cream parlor booths.

"Hi," She smiled at the man. Although dressed casually she could tell he was made of money. She couldn't pin point the reason - maybe material of the fabric or the cologne? - but it made her slightly on edge. Anna slid a checkered menu in front of him and asked for any drinks.

The brown-haired man turned to look at her and she could feel his gaze scrutinizing her. She felt the urge to cross her arms but suppressed it and instead flicked her pad of orders. But mid-flick, she was floored at the sight before her. Chestnut hair framed his chiseled face and sharp jaw line. A light stubble dusted across his chin and bright brown eyes looked at her expectantly from under his thick lashes.

"Hello?" He waved a hand in front of her face.

"Hmm? What?" Anna snapped back into reality. She could already feel a flush rising to her cheeks.

"I ordered a chocolate milkshake," He said. His mesmerizing eyes flickered gold and green.

"Oh yes," She said, a shaky hand scribbled down his order, "Anything else?"

A lazy smirk was drawn across his face, a clear sign that he knew what she was thinking,"Not at the moment."

"Alright, thank you," She left the table and smacked the order on the counter, "One chocolate milkshake!"

Business was always slow in the small sandwich deli but in Anna's eyes it seemed to get by. She had no idea what strings the owner had to pull in order to keep the deli up but the financial struggle was evident in the outdated kitchen appliances and the pad of old receipts that Anna had to use to jot down orders.

She settled down on a little rusty stool at the back of the deli. From her vantage point, she had a clear view of the front door and the entire restaurant. Checking to see that everything was taken care of, Anna ducked into the employee closet and pulled out her sketchbook from under a heap of her belongings.

Starting from the large windows, she started to sketch out the view in front of her. Before she could make much progress, an impatient hand waved at Anna from the edge of the deli. Anna used her pencil as bookmark and set her sketchbook aside.

"Double cheeseburger and fries," He said, his dark eyes glittered, "Oh and extra ketchup."

Anna nodded, scribbling it down on her paper, "It'll be done in a few." The man nodded and took out his phone as if he was silently dismissing her from his presence.

Anna sat back on her stool and resumed her sketching. If she wanted to become a better artist, and have a more art related job, she'd have to continue brushing up on her skills. Joe, the cook, wouldn't tell their boss she was slacking on the job. He knew how much she wanted to go big, do something else than waitress-ing a run-down deli hidden in the corners of New York.