27

April 2nd, 1977

The days after the party passed like a blur

The days after the party passed like a blur. Donna spent them on her dorm room, only getting out to take something to eat directly from the kitchen or when Casey or Alice forced her to take a walk around the castle 'because Madam Pomfrey ordered so'.

It's not like Donna was hiding. No, not at all. She was a Gryffindor, for Godric's sake. She was simply too busy with her studies and with the healthy life style to see other people. Especially a messy haired, hazel eyed boy. But she wasn't hiding.

Although, James could disagree. Ever since the party, when they watched the fireworks with their hands intertwined, the boy couldn't seem to find a moment to talk to the italian. No, that's not true. He had a lot of opportunities to talk to her, but every time their eyes locked, the girl would run the other way, barely saying a word to James.

The other Marauders also noticed this, but for Potter's sake, they would say that she probably was just busy, that she had no reason to avoid James. But they knew better than that. They knew that she was in love with James, and that James was with Lily.

But what they didn't know is that, after the party, James and Lily had a long talk. The Head Boy was nothing but honest to the red head, and told her that he was no longer in love with her. For long seconds, Lily was in complete silence, not speaking a word. James was already imagining all the possible ways he would get hexed by the ginger, but for his surprise, she only smiled at him, nodded, and asked if they could be friends.

They hadn't told anyone. James didn't even tell his best friends, because he wanted the girl who owned his heart to be the first one to know. But said girl was making his task incredibly difficult.

It was only on Saturday that the girl decided to grab breakfast on the Great Hall instead of asking for the house elves on the kitchen for something to eat and taking it to her room. And she only did it because she woke up earlier than usual, so she was sure she wouldn't meet anyone that she didn't want to meet. Again, not hiding.

When she walked in the Great Hall, the long tables were filled only by a few students. Most of them smiled at the girl and congratulated her, as if they weren't the ones gossiping behind her back days before.

Her eyes met a familiar mop of sandy hair sitting at the Gryffindor table, and the italian made her way to the boy with a troubled look on his face as he gazed at the book in front of him.

"Morning." She said as she sat beside Remus.

"Hello, stranger." He gave her a soft smile, closing his book and taking a sip of his black coffee. "How have you been?"

"Fine." She shrugged and took a bacon from the boy's plate, who raised an eyebrow at her. "And you?"

"Good, yeah. Just tired." He narrowed his eyes as she stole one more bacon from his plate. "You're aware that there is a tray full of bacons not even two inches from you, yes?"