Chapter 5

18th June 2021
Southampton

Virat was sitting in the balcony of the Indian dressing room, his hands on his forehead as if he was mourning for someone's death. Yeah right. He was mourning for the final. Its been 2 hours since the rain started and not showing a sign to stop. For the 7208th time in that day

"B*******d yeh ICC wale!!! Pata nahi kisne inn logon ko highest cricket authority banaya!! Ek final thik se organize nahi kar sakte!!! First ever test Championship final and they decided to play it in England and that too in rainy season. Last world cup se kuch sikha nahi kya inhone!!! Aur yeh England pe inn logon itna pyaar kyu araha hai. Lagta hai Dada sir ko bolke inka kuch karna padega."

Virat was grumbling to himself, when jinks called him

"Vi!!! Mahi bhai wants to talk to you. Come quickly."

A huge smile appeared on virat's face as he rushed to pick up the call.

"Mahi bhai!!!! I miss you so so so much. You should have come here to watch us playing. Why didn't you came?"

Mahi smiled at his grown-up kiddo.

"Cheeku i miss you too. I wanted to come to England, but you know these quarantine rules!! Anyways all the best for the finals. It's the second final you're leading as a captain. I know i don't need to tell you but still don't take much pressure. Play it just like an another test match. You are the captain of our side and it's your job to motivate your players. But don't forget about yourself. Take care of yourself too cheeku. You're one of the strongest part of indian cricket and you've to be strong enough to take care of your team. So don't worry and give your best. I believe in you and my other kiddos. Go and play well."

Virat smiled as his eyes were moist. Last time mahi bhai told him this in 2019 semi final, when he was sitting on terrace alone affraid of the result. Thinking about 2019, a sudden image came into his mind. How he failed to score runs and how Mahi bhai left the ground crying.

"What If...... this time it'll be him who will leave the ground crying!!!"

"No....

Virat shook his head.

"Stop your stupid overthinkings Virat. You can't!! You are the captain. Focus on what mahi bhai said. FOCUS."

and said

"thank you mahi bhai. Don't worry i won't do such stupidity. I'll make sure my team won't take much stress. I remember what you said during the champions trophy final!! 'Always try your best. Win or loss, Play like a champion should play. So people would remember how you performed even after your defeat.' Honestly the way my boys performed from last 5 6 years, they're the true champions and one defeat cannot change this fact."

Mahi bhai smiled.

"I never knew that my little cheeku had grown up into a responsible man. Proud of you my boy. Go and achieve everything you desire. You're a great batsman and I'm sure you'll be a far more great captain too. Even better than your mahi bhai."

Virat laughed.

"Mahi bhai, don't you think that's a little much? Me and great captain! Who even didn't won a single ipl cup will become a great captain!"