Part 4 (Loyalties)

Start from the beginning

She doesn't make eye contact with me. My suspicions are confirmed. I'm going to kill him. Of course, I don't make a rash move like sharing what I'm going to do to him instead I give my daughter some encouraging words. The tears well up in her eyes but she doesn't let them fall. I can see there is so many things she wants to say but don't. My chest fills with pride. She's much stronger than I would have guessed. "You're strong, baby girl."

Anger flashes across her face. It's fleeting. "I shouldn't have to be. You're supposed to protect me." She's right. Indefinitely. I failed as a father.

"I deserve that." Abruptly and without warning the call ends. Fuck!

Ophelia

"Wait! I wasn't done talking to him!"

"You said enough. Now he's definitely going to find a way to give me what I want."

"So that's it, huh? You're just using me." We're standing a foot away from one another. I can't help it the tears begin to flow.

"I'm making it look like I'm using you. I told you you're mine. If you're father knew that you weren't in any real danger, I'd lose the upper hand." His long strides eat up the distance between us. "And we couldn't have that now, could we?"

"Fuck you! I hate you!"

That devilish smirk makes its appearance. "You think I care that you hate me." He bends so were nose to nose. "Love and hate are two sides of the same coin. What fuels your hatred towards me will surely spark your love. Only matter of time." He lowers his tone to a whisper, "You know what would hurt me? If you felt nothing at all and we both know you're incapable of that. Do yourself a favor and come to terms with your predicament."

...

"I use to hate them."

"Who?" Rowena and I are lounging out by the beach watching the tide roll in and away. It's soothing. I turn to look at her.

"Men. I used to hate men after I was attacked. I thought it was unfair that they were stronger."

"What's your point?"

She shrugs and says, "Have you considered killing him?" She waits for an answer and to tell the truth I don't have one. Why is she asking me this? Isn't Anton her employer and friend. "See that's why we're so weak. We're constantly pondering how we feel. As a result, we often can't do what needs to be done. Do you want him or not? If not kill him and contact your father. Don't act as if you don't have a way out. You do. If you're not capable of taking a life that weakness only permits you to stay where you are on this island." She pulls out her hunting knife and hands it to me. "Do what needs to be done or shut the fuck up and learn how to be happy here."

Its dinner time and after the day's festivities I do not have any fight left in me. I sit in silence eating the fish and asparagus Ro cooked. Anton and Ro sit across from each other at the dinner table chatting about this and that. Clearly, they're close friends. I guess Anton meant it when he said he took the day off to get more acquainted with me. Too bad I don't want his attention. Hatred boils up from a place deep within. Interesting fact about me: I never hated someone before. When they're not paying attention to me, I quickly stuff a small knife into my rumper pocket. "Did you enjoy your day," Anton addresses me. He's really trying to normalize this? Un-fucking-believable.

"I don't know," my tone is saccharine sweet. "Does a rapist and a kidnapper really want to know how his victim enjoyed it?" I'm bitter and I have every right to be. I miss my parents and after learning that this man is only using me as leverage it has further reassured me, I need to keep my lusty feelings in check. He may have my body, but I will never give him the satisfaction of having my heart. I will not leave pieces of my soul for this man to rip into shreds.