Blake was still going at it. "Sure thing, but can you teach me that? Imagine a wolf that can shoot fireballs, I'd be like–Mr. Fantastic Wolfman."

Ryker spared a split second to meet Jo's gaze, which seemed torn between exasperation and amusement. "I have to believe...you can't be for real..."

Jake tried to take advantage of Ryker's distraction to leap at Ryker, but that was exactly why Ryker had looked away. He'd been keeping an eye on his periperary, and the idiot hadn't realized that the rest of his body was still poised for attack. So Ryker easily slipped out of the way, delivering a warning bite to the scruff of Jake's neck before he managed to twist away.

You're not cut out to lead, Jake. I suggest you remember your place before your Alpha gets here.

HE'S NOT MY ALPHA.

Someone was testy.

Most of the other wolves seemed to be subdued now, the rest hesitating as they watched to see the outcome of their leader squaring off against Ryker. Instinctually, with an alpha and an alpha-to-be facing off, the others would prevent each other from interfering. Even Malcom was holding back, waiting to see how his son and the future Alpha of this pack handled this fight.

Give it up Jake. I don't want to hurt you more than I have to. Look around, you've already lost and Duncan is on his way here.

Jake snarled again, apparently not liking Ryker's message. Y'know, people said they always like honesty, but Jake sure didn't seem fond of it.

Truth hurts, asshole.

Jake charged him again, not even sparing the time to answer him. Fine, if this was how it was going to be...he half-heard Blake holding Jo back, explaining to her the rules regarding alpha fights. Jo in turn protesting that Jake was just a fake alpha.

"Hmm, you're right. Feel free to fireball him if you can get a clean shot."

Ryker snorted as he tried to pin Jake, his senses focusing back in on the wolf in front of him. Jo made him stronger, yes. Blake? Complete distraction. Couldn't wait for Duncan to take him home again.

Give in, he suggested, pushing Jake's snout down into the dirt.

No! Jake's claws were flailing wildly as he struggled against Ryker, trying to right himself and strike the other wolf at the same time.

So damn stubborn, Ryker growled in annoyance, snarling as one of Jake's claws caught against his thigh. He shifted so that more of his weight was now pressing into Jake, his claws sinking in too. ENOUGH.

Get off!

Are you giving up?

I SAID GET GET OFF!

Ryker dropped all of his weight onto Jake, shoving the other wolf completely into the dirt in the most humiliating way possible. Alpha fights weren't supposed to be wrestling matches, and this was the best way he could think of to demoralize the upstart. He slammed one paw into the back on Jake's head. This wasn't even hard.

Duncan isn't strong enough to lead our pack, Jake grumbled as he squirmed around, trying to wriggle out from under Ryker. He's weak.

You're really going to say that right now? Ryker batted the back of Jake's head again, harder this time to drive home the point that he had lost. Badly. No one's going to want to follow you after this. I'm not even the actual Alpha.

They will. They know I'm better than Duncan, Jake said, but he didn't sound very certain of himself. Around the group, the wolves that had been on his side didn't look all that thrilled. They were starting to show signs of submission after seeing how easily Ryker had pounded Jake into the dirt. It hadn't really been a contest.

"Knock him out and get it over with!" Blake called. He was standing behind Jo, his hands on his hips. "Jo, go ahead, light him up."

"I think Ryker can handle it," Jo said, but there was a softball sized fireball bouncing in the palm of her hand. A quiet threat.

Give in so you can at least keep a shred of dignity, Ryker said, If I knock you out, it's over.

Jake tried harder to shake him off. You're just afraid to fight me!

I already won... Man, the wolves from Duncan's pack were dense. If Duncan wasn't such a moron himself, Ryker would almost feel bad for him. Not quite though.

Go ahead and end it, son, Malcolm said, sounding bored, Duncan can deal with this weird little rebellion on his own, but we don't have to put up with it any longer.

If he had been in his human form, he would've smirked. Without any warning, he clocked Jake on the back of the head one more time, much harder than before. It was enough to drop the other wolf, who flopped onto the ground, tongue lolling out.

The wolves who had been following Jake immediately dropped to their stomachs, making themselves small and unobtrusive. Blake made a show of rolling his eyes. "Oh riiiight, now you guys want to play nice."

"No one from the Duncan pack moves," Jo said. Her flames trailed up her arms, burning away her sleeves but not burning her. Black smoke curled around her. It was a scary, intimidating move if you didn't know her. "Not even the ones who weren't with Jake."

Blake pouted at her. "What about me? I'm wearing Monroe pants, so that makes me like a liaison!"

"Blake, honestly."

"Pack politics," Blake said with a grin, "He who wears the pants cannot be--"

Malcolm growled deeply, and Blake sat down crisscross applesauce on the ground. "And now I'll shut up."

Finally. Benefits of being true Alpha, Ryker supposed.

Incoming wolves, some of them are ours, but some smell like...Duncans. The report came from Charlie, echoing between Malcolm, Ryker, and Will, Malcolm's Beta.

Is Hayes with them? Malcolm growled into the group link. He has a mess to sort.

I don't know. But Lexi is there. That must have been the group Lexi intercepted–seemed like she was able to reason with them if she was running back their way. Hopefully. Malcolm started to issue orders to Charlie while Ryker turned his attention to the rest of the pack.

Everyone look around, make sure every Duncan wolf is watched by at least one of ours. He paused for a moment, waiting for a few wolves to shuffle and sort themselves out into groups. Hold tight, Malcolm will issue orders in a moment, we have more Duncans incoming. Immediately the Monroe wolves straightened, senses on the alert, Ryker noted with approval.

Deciding it might be a good idea for one of them–besides the pack doctor–to be human, Ryker turned to head behind a shed where they always kept some spare clothes. He stopped to nudge Jo gently though, careful to keep away from those very warm flames. His woman looked like some kind of goddess of fire right now, and it was highly attractive.

"You coming back?" Jo asked quietly as he turned away. He made a huffing sound in annoyance as he turned back to her–did she think he was going to run away after all that? A small smile of amusement to cross her face for a second. "Just checking," she teased.

She was always welcome to come with him, but he wasn't about to communicate that through Brett.

After he had a pair of pants on, he walked back around the shed to find most of the wolves focused on a spot in the forest–ahh, he could hear it now, a large group of wolves heading their way.

Ryker, you should know–

Ryker missed whatever his dad was going to tell him as the wolves broke through the trees, led by Lexi and...hold on a second.

Wait.

Lexi had met her mate.

Was she...

No way. No. Not happening. Just no.

Damn it Lexi.