𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

But Charlotte knew, if she ever told her parents, her dad especially would surely freak out. And a hysterical Tony Stark, was not good.

He saw the Extremis as a virus, as a bad thing that needed to be destroyed. But Charlotte was different, her blood accepted the virus and even Dr. Banner said that the syringes that contained her blood mixed with the Extremis had healing capacities and were growing missing limbs on rats. He was still unsure as to why it had not held the same effect on the girl.

In a way, she was relieved that the Extremis had not worked as Killian intended to and healed the stump on her right leg.

She did not truly know if she would feel the same if she was without her prosthetic. She had grown with the appendage; it was a part of who she was, and she would not have it any other way.

Charlotte didn't blame her dad for being concerned, both she and her mom had almost died. It was justified that he held a festering grade against the biochemical agent that almost killed his wife and daughter.

She was going to tell him, of course, however, Charlotte wanted to be sure she had full control over it first. Also, she was secretly hoping that in the not so distant future, her abilities and Extremis could be used for good, and maybe she could help the Avengers.

She had first mentioned the motion to Bruce a few weeks ago, and he categorically denounced her thinking, lecturing her on how being a Avenger was not a game. He made her feel small and stupid, and she didn't like that-Bruce wasn 't supposed to be mean to her. She even tried to reason that he had a dangerous chemical/radiation coursing through his veins and yet he was a founding Avenger, but it fell on dead ears. The doctor drew a line under the conversation and told her that it would be best to speak with her father.

"You okay back there, Charlie?"

Charlotte woke up from her deep thoughts and looked around, remembering that she was still inside that car that Happy was currently driving. She had spent that morning with Dr. Lycett, and now she was on her way back to the Avengers Tower. Smiling as Happy looked at her through the rear-view mirror, she nodded and pretended to stretch her arms.

"Yep, just tired."

"How did your session go?"

"Oh, you know. I talked, she wrote stuff down. Same old, same old."

Happy didn't seem too convinced at first. "So you're okay? Feeling good?"

"Feeling great." Charlotte smiled, honestly.

After her reply, Happy relaxed his worried expression and smiled slightly as he now paid attention while driving on the Queensboro Bridge, "Ezra's been telling me how well you've been doing with your sessions. It's not a easy thing to go through, especially at your age.I'm proud of you, kiddo."

At that, she genuinely smiled, "Thanks, Happy. That means a lot."

Happy couldn't help to think how much this kid has grown. She used to sit back there, begging him to pass by Burger King's drive-thru and buy her a cheeseburger. And now, she barely even talked during the car rides, Charlotte would just stare out of the window or listen to music with her headphones, shutting everyone out.

After a lengthy pause, Charlotte talked again.

"Do you know when they're coming back?" she asked, trying to hide her concern.