safety

I gritted my teeth as another stiff wind sent slashes of cold across my cheeks. I wrapped my gym shorts tighter around my shoulders and glanced at my phone. 9:21.

It wasn't every day that I ended up standing in a Chipotle parking lot with my gym shorts wrapped around my shoulders like a shawl. I'd thought I'd be leaving the talent show at 8 PM, just like everyone else. However, my mom had a work emergency and my dad was at a golf course more than an hour away, so I was stranded. The Chipotle parking lot was well lit and a stream of heat came out every time someone opened the door, which was a nice plus. I'd tried to sit inside, but I had no money to buy anything, so they'd kicked me out.

"I should've brought a jacket," I muttered, then remembered that I did bring a jacket, only for it to be stolen by a group of trifling acquaintances, who were hoping C/N would offer me hers. I'd never been so moved by that gesture- why would I want to wear her sweaty jacket anyway?- but what was done was done, and if C/N were to walk by and offer it now, I'd take it in a heartbeat.

The door to the Chipotle opened, releasing a stream of heavenly air. I inched closer to it, trying to stay out of the employees' field of vision, and bumped into someone's backpack.

"Sorry-"

"My fault-"

C/N looked at me, equal parts confused and happy. She tilted her head.

"Waiting for someone?"

I nodded. "Unfortunately, yes."

"Want some company? My mom's running late."

I considered the prospect- it would require awkward small talk, but it would mean some alone time with C/N.

"C/N!" One of her friends called. "We're leaving you, dude!"

She waved a gloved hand. "You go, ahead, I'm going to stay with Y/N!"

"That's alright, I-"

She glanced across the street and leaned closer to me. I could feel her warm breath on the side of my head. "You see that guy over there?"

She gestured discreetly to a figure standing at the bus stop, hands in his pockets, eyes on you. I gulped and nodded.

"I think I should wait with you, just to be safe. Wouldn't want you getting mugged without a witness. It's up to you."

"I, um...yeah. I'd feel safer if you waited."

She smiled at the ground. "Cool."

There was a moment of awkward silence. The man didn't move. C/N reached into her backpack and pulled out a crumpled crewneck.

"I think this is a bit more versatile than your gym shorts." She nodded towards them, inviting me to take the sweatshirt. I slid my gym shorts off of my shoulders and she held them for me as I pulled on the stale-smelling sweatshirt.

"Sorry, it's been in there forever."

"No, it's great!" I assured her, rubbing the sleeves against my goosebump-clad arms. Suddenly I understood the gesture, at least somewhat- it felt surreal to be enveloped in a warm garment that smelled just slightly of her. It was almost like an indirect hug.

She smiled at me and resisted the urge to wrap an arm around my waist, to lean into my chest. Instead, she swallowed and tucked my shorts into my backpack. "So, what brings you here?"

"Uh...well, BF/N had to leave right after the play, and the rest of the group went to the park. To... you know." Of course she knew. BF/N was amazing, but chose some questionable friends, who spent many evenings getting wasted under the slide at the park.

"That kind of sucks."

"Yeah. "

"I meant BF/N. They should've given you a ride home."

I shrugged. "It's alright. You're here now."

Her cheeks flushed deep crimson and she turned his head to hide her smile. I smiled too, as her grin was contagious. Her every breath created steamy swirls in the air, and in that moment I thought they were the most perfect swirls I'd ever seen.

Across the street, a bus pulled up, and we both breathed a sigh of relief as the stranger climbed on and settled down by a window.

"Thank God," C/N chuckled. "I was scared I'd have to fight that guy.

"That guy was hardly 6'2 and 250 pounds! You would have crushed him."

C/N rolled her eyes. "Hah-hah, very funny."

When I tried to sneak a glance in a moment later, she hadn't looked away. Her eyes were dark and transfixed on mine. I glanced away again, just to be sure. She was still looking.

I laughed lightly and pointed to her nose. "Your nose looks cold."

She gave a distracted hum and my heart raced. I babbled on:

"I'm so glad you had an extra sweater. I was practically freezing out here, and-"

"Y/N?"

"Yeah?"

She stepped closer. "I need to ask you something. And I need you to answer truthfully."

I swallowed and nodded.

"I've been getting this vibe from you. I'm pretty intuitive, so I think I'm right, but... are you...I mean, do you-" she huffed and searched for the words. I took her right hand and enclosed it in mine. She gaped down at it, shocked.

Before I knew it, her other hand was drawing my chin up towards her face, and her lips were flush against mine. They were warm despite the frigid air, and tasted like Carmex.

When we finally pulled away, she didn't let go of my hand. "I knew it! My friends said I was crazy, but I knew it! God, your hand's cold!"

"C/N, stop shouting," I laughed, warmed by the adrenaline of the kiss.

"Sorry, sorry."

"I think I get the hype around kissing now. And sweatshirts."

"I think I get the hype around you."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I have no idea. I feel totally wasted right now. I'm not, but this just feels...surreal. Like, I spent hours of class time staring at you from wherever my seat was, dreaming of this moment, and now its happened."

I walked behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"What're you doing?"

"Warming you up."

When my mom showed up, she found me in C/N's sweater, my cheek resting on her shoulder as she smiled at the sky.