return

The airport was crowded despite the stormy weather, and I found myself having to awkwardly push past fretting families and people in lines for bathrooms. Gate D-31. I'm looking for Gate D-31.

She'd be walking through that metal door soon. We'd never been apart for that long. 3 months. Had it really been 3 months?

I finally stumbled upon the gate, the one in the back corner with a hidden sign, and checked the arrival time. It was delayed by 15 minutes, a result of the storm. I sighed and surveyed the mass of occupied, gray, peeling chairs. The bathroom would have to do.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

It was something I'd been doing since I was only six: waiting for my flight in the bathroom. It was a place to sit, after all, and it was always the perfect temperature. I closed the toilet seat and sat on it, then extended my feet, pressing the soles of my shoes against the stall door. Other doors open and closed, suitcases rattled against the tile, but I stayed put.

A massive boom of thunder caused the whole building to shake slightly. I shut my eyes and muttered silent wishes for her safe return. After all, I couldn't lose her now, not after 3 hard months of patience. She'd left for a passion project, a massive summit followed by an exclusive research project. She'd been talking about it for months, and it was bittersweet to finally see her off at this very airport, sharing a soggy sandwich from a supposedly fresh food stand before waving to each other until she disappeared around the corner.

The months away had been hard. We called each other most nights, sometimes happy, too often in tears. We tried to have virtual date nights, tried to laugh it off when our phones would tip over, or when one of us cut out. We talked about our suddenly separate lives for hours, secretly searching for signs of infidelity. It wasn't healthy. It was time for her to come home.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

15 minutes later, I marched out of the bathroom to see mostly clear skies through the foggy windows. A ray of sunshine, a ray of hope, perhaps, peeked out of receding clouds. The flight was delayed an extra fifteen minutes, but she was safe. I exhaled. And smiled.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

On the plane, she was restless. She'd packed her backpack ages ago, not anticipating the extra wait, and now resorted to periodically checking her reflection with her phone camera, making little adjustments to her hair and shirt.

She couldn't stop thinking about her. It was as if her face had been branded into her train of thought. She knew she'd hug her the moment she saw her. She wouldn't want to let go. She'd never been the type to cause a scene in the airport, at least before. Now she'd do anything, no matter how embarrassing, to wrap her arms around her and just breath her in.

She found herself smiling like an idiot, and looked around to see if anyone had noticed. No one but a little kid, watching with empty eyes. She turned her attention to the window. They were landing now, she noticed, and suddenly felt her ears beginning to pop. She pulled out a stick of gum and popped it in her mouth. She chewed and chewed. And smiled a bit more.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

I grabbed her a bag of those fruit snacks she liked, a new pair of earbuds (she'd broken his in the security line, she'd said), a sappy airport book for us to laugh about, and a bottle of water. The gate was still packed when I returned with my bounty, so I stood awkwardly to the side, staring out of the window at the recently grounded plane. The walkway began to extend, like an accordion. It was moving so slowly. My whole body itched to see her, touch her, love her. I wondered if she could see me in the window.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

There she was, in the window. She stared, in awe, until she had to scoot into the aisle and inch along it with all of the other passengers. She really was more beautiful in person, though she was perfect on FaceTime too. She wanted to hit the slowpokes in front of her with her backpack.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

There she was, in the doorway. Her backpack slung over her shoulder like a child's. She scanned the crowd by the window, and finally found me. I willed my legs to move. Finally, they did, and I began pushing through the crowds of passengers to reach her. She did the same from her end, and after a couple moments, we met in the middle. We stared at each other, smiling like idiots. She pulled me into a tight hug, holding the back of my head to her body with her hand. I inhaled deeply, tickling her, and cherished the feeling of her chest moving as she laughed. We pulled apart. Without so much as a beat, she cradled my chin and kissed me. I wrapped my hands around her cheek and reciprocated. Finally, we moved into a hug again, and she spoke, a soft whisper against my ear.

"Y/n...I love you, dude."

You smiled and spoke into her shoulder.

"C/n...I love you more."