rain

I'd always found rainy days so romantic. Maybe it was all the romance movies with swelling music and dramatic kisses during downpours, or maybe it was the cozy sensation that washed over me at the thought of staying in. Whatever it was, rainy days always brought out a calm sense of happiness from within me, and I'd have the sudden urge to do a puzzle, or make applesauce, or even clean my room.

So when I woke up after my first night at her house, my legs intertwined in hers, her head resting against my loose tank top, I almost jumped in happiness at the sight of raindrops racing down the window. Trying not to wake her, I slowly stretched my arm out to brush the curtain out of the way, revealing the full glory of the cloudy sky.

Apparently, I wasn't careful enough, and as I let myself relax back into the mattress I felt an arm snake along my chest, then saw a hand rest just below my face. I caressed it with mine, tracing the veins and trying to memorize where each knuckle bends and where each finger begins.

"Morning," she mumbled, her little sleepy voice surprising me in the best way possible. I felt her stretch behind me, her limbs tensing against mine momentarily before releasing and softening again. I smiled at the window and the feeling of her skin against mine.

"Morning," I responded. I wondered what my sleepy voice sounded like. As if on cue:

"My god, your sleepy voice is cute as hell," she murmured casually, turning onto her back and groping for her phone. I hoped she couldn't feel the heat rising from my face. I almost liked the way she could say it so nonchalantly, as if it didn't make me explode inside.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~

I made tea for myself, as I'd never gotten used to the bitter taste of coffee, and made some coffee for her, adding three scoops of sugar and enough milk to turn it the color of a Toblerone. Her kitchen was relatively clean compared to her bedroom, and easy to navigate, too.

She stumbled in, still groggy, and tossed me a crewneck, which I gladly pulled on. She smiled at the sight of me wearing it, but didn't say anything, enjoying the pitter patter of the rain, and somehow, the bitterness of her coffee. After draining it in only a couple of minutes, she kissed me on the forehead and didn't let go of me until I finished my tea.

I stared out of the window as she washed the dishes, unaware of her stare.

"Sorry about the rain, Bub. I know you were looking forward to our hike," she sighed. I shook my head and smiled to let her know it was alright.

"It's okay! I actually love the rain. I think it's romantic."

She chuckled. "Only you would find water falling out of the sky romantic."

"You don't find it romantic?"

"I mean... not really. It just means a day filled with video games. At least for me."

My face fell at the idea of laying around as she played hours of Skyrim. However, the sight of her glowing nintendo switch on the counter gave me an idea.

- ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ - ~ -

"Animal crossing? Seriously?"

We were in her sister's abandoned room. She'd left her switch and games at home when she returned for her second semester of her senior year at college, calling it an unnecessary distraction. I flipped through her game case eagerly, looking for the little green card that was New Horizons.

"Isn't that game for kids?" she continued, tossing a beanbag that she'd found in her closet dangerously close to my head.

"Watch it," I said in response to her comment and the beanbag. "Don't be an asshole about it until you've tried it."