Chapter 4.

Eli woke up with a throbbing headache in an unfamiliar room that smelled a hint of flour and margarine. She couldn't remember how long she's been sleeping, but when flashes of images from the fire came rushing back, she felt the insides of her chest constricting in pain, threatening to explode once again. Eli shut her eyes tightly trying to hold in the tears and all the rage from fully engulfing her, but she failed miserably. A silent whimper escaped her mouth and moments later, she found herself sobbing helplessly again. She couldn't stop.

Nana Fleur, Mr. Kent's wife, immediately rushed to her carrying a glass of water. Obvious worry's written all over her face and on instinct she gave Eli a comforting hug.

"It's okay, honey. It's going to be okay. I'm here. We're here for you." She said while drawing tiny circles on her back to console her. She told her to drink water and continued embracing her after.

Nana Fleur's clothes smelled of freshly-baked bread and honey, and Eli couldn't help but feel comforted by it. Her family has known the Kent's all her life and Eli knows she can trust them. She knows she's in good company.

The Kent's have been running a small family-owned bakery since time immemorial. The couple weren't blessed with a child though, so they settled living upstairs; just on top of the bakery. Every Sunday morning, they would set up tables just outside the bakery and hand out free breads to everyone in their village. Eli and her brothers would always get excited because Mr. Kent always had something special for them. The old man grew quite fond of them that he'd bake moist breads of vanilla or butter shaped like butterflies, spiders, or turtles.

Eli started smiling a bit remembering those golden times with her brothers. She'd never give up her childhood for anything.

Nana Fleur cupped Eli's tiny face and looked at her straight in the eyes with sincere worry. "Are you feeling better, Eli?"

Eli doesn't want to burden the old lady any further, so she shyly nodded her head to assure her and mustered enough courage to give her a weak smile.

Nana Fleur smiled back lovingly when she saw her smile. "That's good to hear. You're really one tough cookie. Let's go downstairs. We've prepared for you a nice breakfast. You've been sleeping for almost three days. You must be starving."

She held her hand gently and guided her to the kitchen where Mr. Kent's waiting for them sipping a cup of coffee. Her stomach automatically let out a hushed growl when she saw the food on the table.

***

"I'm very sorry, my Lord. But we're trying our best to locate them. I'm very sorry." The general bowed his head low in total embarrassment. They have been trying to get in touch with the princess' protectors for days now but they failed. It would be a feat for them to track their current whereabouts since they changed names and identities once the mission was entrusted to them by the palace. The only thing they know is that the chosen protectors headed towards neutral territory which is Pihsdneirf, but where exactly in Pishdneirf  - therein lies the problem.

"Keep your voice down. Don't let anyone hear you. The Queen shouldn't know. I don't want her to worry. We still have two days before the welcome feast. Do everything. Find her fast." King Kostos didn't realize he's already fumbling with his knuckles as he gives orders to the general. It's a mindless habit he does every time he's worried or burdened with a big problem.

"We will, my Lord." The general quickly left, leaving the king still deep in thought.

"Anything wrong, Kostos?" The King was surprised with Queen Heran's sudden appearance.

"All is well, my love. You need not worry. How's the preparation going?" He lied, trying to change the subject.

"It's obvious that something's wrong, Kostos." She pointed to his knuckles and knowingly arched her brows telling him to spill the beans. Heran knows him all too well.

King Kostos realized that his action's giving him away and sighed in defeat, still unsure if he'd let his wife know the impending problem the general and his troops are trying to sort out.

He locked his right hand with Heran's, squeezing it a little bit as if trying to gain strength from her or something.

"I'm just worried for the upcoming welcome feast. That's all." He explained, finally deciding that it's best to keep the rest of the details secret from her.

The queen smiled, no longer skeptical, and pinched his right cheek playfully.

"You worry too much, my love. Everything will be fine." She said.

King Kostos trapped the queen in a tight embrace, feeling guilty. He saw the glorious sun's about to set from just outside the palace's window and he shut his eyes, trying his best not to tear up. He offered a silent prayer, asking the Gods for help and mercy. He can't lose his only daughter. He just can't. Not because their realm needs a descendant to protect them from all the attacks, but because he wants his only daughter back, safe and sound.

It was bad enough that they had to part with her for eighteen long years. Losing Princess Elise for good would be beyond devastating. Just imagining it could happen is already breaking his heart.

Gentle knocks on the door suddenly interrupted both of them.

"Come in." Both said in unison.

"Your highness, the new gowns for the princess have just arrived. They're ready." The queen's lady chief assistant proudly shared the good news to the queen who immediately got excited. She's been waiting for these and been raring to get her hands on them to make sure that her daughter would be the loveliest princess New Earth has ever seen.

"Just in time." The queen quickly left Kostos to check on her daughter's wardrobe. Heran couldn't contain her happiness at the upcoming return of her daughter. Even her eyes would light up whenever Princess Elise's name is mentioned.

She hasn't felt this alive in ages and Kostos is sure as hell it would kill her if Elise does not return to the palace in two days.