Of Love and Spies (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

William shook his head. "Did Jason not mention it to you?"

Crossing her arms, Jane looked away. "I...don't recall if he did or not."

Truth be told, she didn't want to admit that she had tuned the man out when he mentioned the man's details, still salty about the whole situation.

A hum came from William. "Well, you don't have to worry about another high tier because I'm not one. In fact, I don't have an ability at all."

Jane's head snapped up in record time.

'No ability at-...WHAT?!'

She stared at him with wide eyes. "YOU'RE A CRIPPLE?!"

William held up a finger to where his lips would be, pointing to the open window.

Jane flushed a faint red at her outburst, but tried to state the absurd fact again anyways.

"You...you're a-...?"

The man rolled his eyes slightly. "Yes, I'm powerless, I have no ability, I'm a cripple, etc, etc. Believe me, you're not the first one to point that out."

There was a beat of silence as she stared at him. Then Jane pulled up a seat from her desk and sat down, putting her head in her hand, her blade still in her grip.

Whatever God was out there, may they have mercy on Jason because she was about to kill him.

A cripple?! 

He took on a cripple?!

They're in the middle of trying to bust the authorities for their abuse and negligence to the public, one of their most important missions to date, and Jason takes on a man who has no abilities?!

Slowly, she found her words as she looked back up at the man. "How...the f*ck...did you manage to convince Jason to let you do this?! No, scratch that, why the hell did Jason agree to let you do this?!"

She ran her free hand through her hair with a frustrated huff before reaching over to her desk. "That's it, I'm calling him!"

William waved his hand. "Wait, stop. He didn't convince me or anything. I was the one who asked him if I could join."

Jane put the phone down as she stared at what she now knew was this absolutely insane mess of a human being.

Did he get into one too many fights as a kid?!

Was he suffering from some long term head trauma?!

Just what the hell was he thinking?!

She looked up staring at the man still crouched outside. "...HOW?!

Because seriously, how the f*ck was this even possible?!

"What, did you lie to him that you have an ability or a hidden trick or something?!"

William raised an eyebrow. "What? No, I-"

"The how the f*ck did you manage this?! Because there's no damn way that Jason would be stupid enough to take on someone who can't even-!"

William glared at her past his mask and before she knew it, Jane was pinned by him, her switchblade now out of her hand and against her throat, but not yet drawing blood.

"...defend...himself..." she finally got the rest of her sentence out.

Jane stared at him, mouth agape as his silver eyes had become sharp. It felt like they were piercing into her soul as he stared her down.