Of Love and Spies (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

Yet for some reason, he still hung onto this delusion.

This was all just another un-needed headache. And she had yet to even meet the guy!

Jane was snapped from her thoughts when she heard something thud against the window.

Her eyes began to glow, reaching into her side drawer where she kept a switchblade.

There was absolutely no way someone could be outside her window. She was on the 6th floor and there was no balcony for anyone to perch on.

Levitation? No, she couldn't sense any active abilities.

She slowly opened the glass out into the cold night air, feeling the wind brush her cheeks. She saw nothing and was about to shut the window when she heard a voice.

"Uhm...hi?"

Jane swung her arm out, knife flying through the air in a silver arc.

The figure leaned back with a gasp, the woman just stopping at his neck.

They held a hand up. "Easy...I'm not here to fight." Slowly, he pushed her hand back slightly.

Jane kept the knife aimed at him as her gaze traveled up the figures bicep and to a set of broad shoulders. Their face was hidden under a mask and a hood of dark grey fell over their head, blocking them from view.

But Jane caught their gaze, staring into pooled mercury. The faintest glimmer of...something...sparked in their eyes. "You should really be careful where you swing, Miss."

The woman huffed, eyes narrowing as she readied her stance again, blade still pointed at the intruders throat. "Who the hell are you?! And how the hell are you out on my window sill?!"

The man scratched his head. "Uh, the roof? I just propelled down using a rope."

To emphasize his point, he tugged a thick piece of cable rope attached to a harness at his hip.

Well...that's an interesting way of going about it.

Raising an eyebrow, Jane eyed this mysterious stranger. "You still haven't answered my first question. Who are you?"

It took the man a moment before she could practically see the light bulb go off in his head. "Oh! I'm William. Jason sent me to meet you."

Oh...it's this guy.

How wonderful.

Jane stared at him for a second before turning away. "Great. We met. You can leave now."

She heard the man practically sputter. "W-wait, what?! Miss, I-"

Jane turned back around and held up a hand. "Just- stop. Look, I don't know what's so appealing about you to my brother, but we're fine as it is, thank you very much. We don't need help and we don't need yet another high tier meddling in our affairs. So go bother someone else who'll have you."

There was silence.

Then, "PFFFT-HAHAHAHAHA!"

Staring at him in bewilderment, Jane eyed him as he hunched forward, hands on his knees where he was crouched on the thin shelf of the sill.

"...Are you laughing at me?!"

William held up a hand as he caught his breath. "Oh...oh boy...no, sorry. I don't mean to laugh. Just-...it's kinda amusing that you think I'm a high tier."

Huh. Not exactly what she was expecting, but she wasn't surprised.

"Then...what exactly are you? An Elite?"