The Life I Hate

George's POV

It has been 3 days since Clay left. I guess I should call him Dream. It's been the worst three days of my life.

I sit in my room and sulk. I don't want to go to work, I don't want to eat, I don't even want to get out of bed. I just want Dream. I want him to come back, even if for a day so I can ask him why. I need my answers.

I had only made it halfway to the castle before my dad stopped me. How he caught up to me, I don't know. He grabbed my arm and dragged me back home, kicking and screaming. He had told me I shouldn't try to get into the castle. You should give him some time. He said gruffly, he is the prince after all. He doesn't need to worry about us commoners.

He dragged my to my room and told me I wasn't allowed to leave.

I cried that night.

Not because I missed Dream, because I didn't, not at the time. I cried because I was upset. I was upset about everything in my life and the only way to get over it was to let out my pain in the form of tears.

My brain yelled at me as I cried. He lied to you. You fell in love. He's the Prince. What's wrong with you?

I didn't sleep very well. It was colder in my bed, alone.

Now I lay in bed as I listen to my father tromp up the stairs. I pull my blankets over my head. When did everything get so cold?

"George. It's time to get up." He calls from the top of the stairs. "I have breakfast. It's another long day of work son, I can't afford to give you another day off."

My dad didn't deserve this. He lost an employee. I can't just give up.

I wonder how he felt about all of this.

I pull my covers off my head and he smiles at me through his mustache. I nod my head and slowly pull myself from my bed. I shiver as the cold air hits my feet.

After getting ready for the day I go downstairs and sit in front of my breakfast. I wasn't really hungry, but I knew I would regret it if I didn't eat anything.

I slowly eat my eggs and my father and I head to the bakery. It feels odd, leaving the house without... without Dream.

My heart hurts as I think of how lonely I was before he came into my life.

The day my mother died felt just like today. I had to move on without her brightness in my life. My dad closed the bakery the week she died. Nothing felt the same. My mom would always sing me to sleep and wake me up with the smell of delicious bacon and eggs. Sometimes we would take home a pie from the bakery and have it for dessert after long days of work. She used to take me to the field behind our house and show me how to use a bow and arrow.

The weeks after her death were lonely. Every time I went to the bakery, every time I went to bed without a song, every morning I woke up without a delicious meal, was just a reminder that she was gone.

And my dad had never talked about it. He moved on without me.

"Hey dad? Are you upset that Cl- I mean Dream lied to us?"

He unlocks the door to the bakery and lets me in.

"Of course I am. It just... it seems strange, everything that happened. I can't dwell on all of it too much."

"But... aren't you curious why he ran away in the first place? What if he doesn't want to be the prince anymore?"

My dad looks at me with concern. "Don't worry about it son. There's nothing we can do anyway. And even if he didn't want to be the prince, that's just what he was born into. He has to learn to take responsibility of his calling."

"That doesn't seem fair..." I mutter. Once again, he's moving on without me.

The day goes by surprisingly smooth. I hated it. I wanted to turn around and see Dream with jelly in his hand, or have him ask to tie his apron again. It was so quiet, so lonely, in the store without him. Is this what it was like before he found us?

When did I get so lonely?

* * *

Dream's POV

I was sitting in my room tying my boots. A guard was waiting for me outside my door. My father was making me go horseback riding. He told me it's time for me to stop sulking around and get to work. I'm supposed to be learning discipline and how to be a good ruler or whatever.

This is stupid.

I head down the hall and out to the stables. I run into my older sister on my way there. I usually try to avoid her, but I haven't seen her for over a month.

"Dream," she sneers at me, a book in her hand. "You just had to run away didn't you? Father has added extra guards everywhere. How am I suppose to visit my boyfriend in the village?"

I perk up. "What?"

"What do you mean what?"

"You visit someone outside the castle?" I ask, baffled.

"Yes. He's my boyfriend. Father didn't know about it or care until now. Because of you I have to find a new way to sneak him in. Maybe if he gets me pregnant, father will have to accept him into the family."

I stand in shock as she walks away.

She has been talking with someone who doesn't live inside the castle grounds probably every night. Does that mean I could visit George?

No. He wouldn't want to see me. I broke his trust, My brain argues with me.

But, maybe just one time to try and explain myself? I argue back.

Well, now that father has expanded the guards it would be way more difficult. Especially since he will be watching me the most.

There has to be some way I can send him a letter or something.

No... no. If I was going to do anything, it should be in person.

But... Should I even try to do anything? I haven't even earned the right to talk to him after what I've done. He will probably never forgive me.

I can at least try, right?

SO, I was totally going to end this way sooner and then decided I had more in me. You're welcome? I hope you like it so far.

1133 words