Caught in the Act

"I... I need to tell you something."

My heart speeds up as I try to form words. How do I tell them? What do I say? Should I be blunt or lead into it slowly?

"I- I'm the-"

Sudden banging on the door stops me mid-sentence.

"Open this door!" A guard shouts.

My eyes go wide. When will I get a break?

George grabs my arm and pulls me from my chair. "Let's go," he mutters as Hugh gets up from his chair to answer the door.

I nod my head and trudge up the stairs after George.

I've made up my mind. I have to leave before someone gets hurt.

I start pulling items into a backpack and George looks at me, confusion written across his face.

"What are you doing?"

I shake my head, fumbling with a pair of trousers. "I'm sorry George, I have to go. I can't keep putting you and Hugh in danger."

"No, Clay," he grabs my arm. "Don't go."

"I have to, okay? I don't want you to get hurt anymore." I pull my arm from his grasp. George follows me around the room as I shove my cloak into my bag and pull my boots onto my feet.

"You're going to hurt me more if you leave, Clay." George's voice is shaking. I turn to look at him as he pleads with his eyes.

I shake my head. "You don't understand. They will never stop looking for me."

"I don't care!" George shouts, freezing me in place. I can hear ruckus downstairs. The guards have probably made their way inside. I don't have very much time. "Don't go."

I close my eyes and breath out heavily. "Don't make this harder than it has to be George. I'm leaving. It's better this way."

I walk to the window, hoping I can make my way to the back and they wont notice me. George gets a hold of my arm again.

"George, please-"

"Stop it Clay-"

"I'm not Clay!" I shout, losing my patience. Behind George the guards have made their way up the stairs.

"Stop!" One shouts at me.

"George, let go," my voice is panicked now. There's not any time left. George is frozen from my outburst. Only then does he realize the guards have made their way over to us. I tug on his arm, but before I can escape, a guard has a hold of me.

I struggle in his grasp. "No, let me go!"

Another guard is dragging George away from me. They take us both downstairs to the main guard, someone I've seen quite a few times. He smiles as I come into view.

"We've got the prince," says the guard who has a hold of me.

"Ahh, Dream. You're a difficult boy to find. You were very sneaky, but not sneaky enough." He tilts his head in the direction of the door.

"Leave the other boy," he instructs. He walks up to me, head held high. "I hope you had fun on your little vacation, Your Highness." His last words are stated mockingly.

My eyes find George's. He is stuck in place, shock across his features. He knows who I am now. I could've told him, but I didn't. I was too afraid he would tell the guards, he would judge me for who I was, but he is not like that. I judged him. My guilt shines through my eyes.

"I'm sorry, George." They drag me to the door. "I tried to tell you." I'm in the door way, his face twists into betrayal. My stomach drops. "I didn't want to hurt you."

"It's too late," he states blankly as the door swings shut and I'm dragged away from the house; the one place I had finally felt myself, the one place that made me happy, the one place I wish I never had to leave.

I was being dragged away from the one person who truly accepted me as myself and I couldn't even tell him who I really was.

All I can hear is the head guard mocking me. "I hope you had fun, Dream. Playtime is over. It's fun to break people's hearts isn't it?"

Don't go... George had said.

I didn't mean to break my both of our hearts.

-heavy sigh- Alright! That chapter is over and done with. We move on, tears in our eyes. Yes? Is everyone feeling alright? Don't forget to drink water. :)

747 words