Less Fighting, More Talking

We finish off the day with more 'kneading', as George called it. My hands and arms were sore. I had never done this much hard labor in my life. And I was tired of standing up too.

Hugh locks up the store and we trudge back to my new, temporary, house. The night air is cold, the sun slowly sets behind us as we walk down the muddy path. We enter the house and Hugh starts a fire. George immediately heads up the stairs to his room. I pull my shoes off and watch the sparks ignite the logs in the fireplace. I wander over to warm my hands and Hugh gives me a smile that I can barely see through his thick mustache.

He pats my back. "You did good work today."

"Thanks. I really appreciate you letting me stay here." I pause, wondering if I should say what I'm thinking. I go for it. "Although, I don't think George likes me very much..."

His eyebrows scrunch together. "George can come off as a little rough at first, but I'm sure he'll warm up to you eventually. You're a bright kid."

Yeah right. George is the most sour person I had ever met in my life. And that was saying something, because my family was pretty bitter. They were all so stuck up, so selfish. George wasn't like them, but he also wasn't very nice.

I had little faith he would ever 'warm up' to me.

After my hands are warm, I climb up the stairs and find George on his bed reading, just like last night. I cautiously approach him and sit on the end of his bed. I lean forward to try and catch what he is reading. He looks up from his book to raise his eyebrow at me.

"What?" He sounds annoyed.

"I just... I wanted to know what you were reading." I run my hand through my hair and look into Georges dark eyes, like pools of burnt chocolate.

"Why didn't you just ask, you weirdo?"

"Umm... well because last time I asked you got mad at me and didn't tell me," I huff.

He sighs back. "Why do you care?"

"Because, I'm going to be living with you for a while, I'm just trying to get to know you. I'm being friendly... that's what people do. Ever heard of it?"

Anger flashes across his face. He looks like he's about to tell me off and I brace myself for it, but then his features soften.

He takes a deep breath before responding with, "Yeah, I know I've been mean. I'm sorry."

He genuinely looks sorry. "You're sorry?"

He deadpans. "Yes. Now don't make me take it back."

I chuckle. "Okay okay. I forgive you." I smile politely and watch as his features soften into a smile, his brown eyes not so stormy, more like warm coffee. I notice for the first time a sprinkle of freckles across his cheeks. His hair is dark too, charcoal black strands curling over his ears, neck, and swooping across his forehead. He was pretty when he wasn't so angry.

His eyes move away from mine, but I continue to stare, not being able to pull myself away.

"It's called the Prince and the Pauper," he interrupts my thoughts.

"What?" I blink at him.

"You asked what book I was reading. It's the Prince and the Pauper."

I nod thoughtfully. "What's it about?"

We continue to discuss the story of the Prince and the Pauper. I tell him about books I've read and he tells me about one's he knows. He is surprisingly fun to talk to when he's not so angry. I actually laugh and smile, and I even get him to laugh at some dumb jokes. We enjoy each others company.

It's cut short when Hugh comes in to tell us it's time for dinner. We head down stairs and I feel accomplished. All it took was a little bit of sweet in his life for George to stop being so sour.

* * *

After a week of working at Hugh's bakery, I've learned how to make pastries. I'm still not very good at any of them, but there has been improvement. Enough improvement that I can do some of them on my own, except George still wont let me frost anything.

George and I continued to be snobby towards each other, despite our fun conversations at home. It's almost like when we enter the bakery we instantly hate each other, but once we are back in our room we can be civil again.

It's still fun at work though. It's fun to tease George, and he seems to enjoy being a know-it-all and telling me what to do. I enjoy the banter.

About a week after my first day of work, someone comes into the shop to buy something. Well, it had happened before, but I never had to deal with them on my own. George was in the back, Hugh was out shopping, and I was stirring batter for more cupcakes. They ring the bell for assistance and I hesitantly walk over to the counter.

It's a man probably in his thirties with round glasses perched on his nose.

"Hello? How can I help you?"

His gaze moves from the display counter to my face. He looks confused.

"You're not George?"

"Nope." I smile politely.

"Has Hugh adopted a new employee then?" he questions with a smile.

"That would be me. Anything you're interested in today?" I ask, trying to get to the point.

"I was going to say, 'the usual', but you probably don't know what that is," he laughs.

Well, obviously.

"What is it then?" I pull out a piece of paper to write it down on.

He starts listing different desserts and pastries and how many he wants. Then George comes back from the back and the man stops.

"George! There you are." He smiles happily. George shoots me a look of discomfort.

What was that?

"Hello," his voice is shallow and timid.

"How have you been? Not too busy I hope. Well, you do seem busy since you're never free to spend time with me."

Oh? What was this guy talking about?

George laughs weakly. "Well, you know. Gotta help my dad around the shop. Not very free with all this work..." he shoots me another look. I give him a confused gaze.

"Is this the kid you've adopted then? Spending time with him instead are we?"

I stand up straight from my bent over the counter position. What is with this guy?

The man directs his attention to me. "You know, you look a lot like royalty. Just taking advantage of us peasants to earn some gold, is that it?"

He doesn't know does he? My heart rate speeds up.

"That's enough. Did you want anything from here or not?" George speaks up.

"Yeah. Never mind. I'll come back when Hugh is in. I don't want anything that he has made."

And with that he storms out, his long coat trailing behind him dramatically.

"What was that?" I ask, partially scared, partially confused.

"Doesn't matter," George answers swiftly before making his way into the back to do whatever he had been doing before.

That was strange...

Hello everyone! Hope you enjoyed. Thanks so much for reading. <3

1230 words