A Dream

George climbs up the stairs with a lute in hand. I panic.

I don't know what to play, I feel like it's been forever since I have, and I've never played in front of someone else. This is a disaster.

He sits cross legged in front of me again and hands me the stringed instrument.

"Oh, I don't know George," I push it back toward him.

He slightly frowns. "What? Come on. Just one song?"

His eyes sparkle as he begs. "Well, I just- it's been a while and I don't really know what to play," I wring my fingers together.

He pushes it at me again. "I won't judge you, I promise." He pauses with a begging look. "One song?"

I sigh. He lets his bottom lip stick out. I grab the lute from his hands. He claps happily.

"Alright. What did you want me to play?"

He shrugs his shoulders. "Play your favorite song."

I think back to when I would hide in my giant closet playing my lute to myself, listening for anyone to come find me there.

What is my favorite song?

I start messing with the strings and strumming random chords trying to remember how it goes.

George listens intently, smiling encouragingly.

I find the right chords and start to strum. I wait for my part before singing the lyrics.

"In visions of the dark night
I have dreamed of joy departed—
But a waking dream of life and light
Hath left me broken-hearted."

I strum out the chords over again. George sways to the soft tune and watches intently as I sing. Watches the way I strum, the way I sing, he listens to my smooth voice float with the strings of the lute as I sing the second verse.

"Oh, what is not a dream by day
To him whose eyes are cast
On things around him with a ray
Turned back upon the past?"

I finish with a final strum and look into George's eyes. He has a small smile on his face as he looks back into my green eyes. A strange feeling bubbles in my stomach the longer I fall into George's dark eyes. I feel like I can stay in them forever.

"That was beautiful," George murmurs softly.

"Thank you," I mumble back.

We continue to fall prey to each other's stare.

I hear a loud crash and banging downstairs and the both of us jump to our feet, trance completely broken.

"What was that?" I ask shakily.

George moves to the stairs. "I don't know," he leans over the railing, "let me check."

He sneaks down the stairs and I wander to the edge of the railing. I watch him silently make his way down the stairs. I start to follow.

The silence is broken by another bang and yelling. George jumps away from the bottom of the stairs and hides in the corner. I hide right behind him, but slowly peek around the edge to see the front door.

"Have you seen him?" There is muffled yelling outside. The door swings open violently and Hugh walks inside. Behind him is the most terrifying sight: about six castle guards.

"Do you know where he is?"

Hugh answers calmly, "and who are you looking for?" He holds the door and stands in their way, not letting them inside.