purple snow

*rorys pov*

3 years earlier

i throw the blood red hair dye in the cart, pushing it along. Caleb not far behind, looking at the pictures of girls on the dye boxes. typical. i walk towards the snacks isle just so we wont be starving, i grab Oreo's and fruit roll ups. classics.

when we walk back home with our groceries we go straight to the bathroom, already excited for the new change. it's Christmas time, which always makes me miss my mom. yeah its been a few years but she loves Christmas, and i need to change something or I'm gonna go fucking crazy. not to mention it is our freshman year and i don't want to be the same old depressed 14 year old.

"shit, we forgot gloves Rory." Caleb looks at me while opening the box. i grab it from his hands, examining it.

"it should have come with it, they usually do?"

"welp, guess were gonna have to go naked." i glare at him, hes smirking. trying to hold in a laugh, so childish.

"okay lets start." I'm wearing a tight cami top, with old sweatpants that i don't mind getting stained.

"can i start it." i look at Caleb, who's suddenly shirtless. wearing only his dark grey sweatpants. i survey his stomach, abs line them. i think a 6 pack. realizing I've been staring at him, i clear my throat and turn to face myself in the mirror. seeing my dark under eye bags, blood shot eyes, tangled strawberry blond hair; i know i need this.

"yes." he walks behind me, gently grabbing onto my lower waist. he lets go, and grabs the bottle of dye off the marbled counters. he squirts a big red dollop onto his hands, looking at me before he continues. i nod approvingly, biting my lip in excitement. i feel the cold gel touch my scalp, i shiver and hear him chuckle. i blush, fiddling with my fingers. he massages the dye throughout my hair, all the way to the tips. its horribly silent so i try to think of something to talk about.

"so, you have abs.." i laugh and cover my mouth in shock. no way did i just say that, he laughs and inhales.

"you were looking?" his eyebrows are raised, cheeks pink.

"no i- i was just-" he laughs and i stop myself.

"you were joking...ah." he smiles, and i chuckle.

"do you like it so far?" he holds up my swooped hair, my heart swells.

"oh my gosh i love it!" i smile, making him blush.

~~~~

i finish wrapping my hair in a little plastic bag thing, it took me way longer than it should've because like always i made it way more complicated than it has to be. i walk over to where Caleb's sitting in my room, hes opened my window and is sitting there with his legs dangling out. i grab his shoulder for support while sitting next to him.

i look out to the view, lights shine across the city. you can see Christmas lights on houses farther away, the snow sprinkling down. it never snows here. the sky is purple, casting a lavender tint on the few inches of snow we have. stars showing, the moons bright, a full one. i turn to look at him, hes admiring the moon, his eyes mesmerized. hooked on the one spot, he looks so happy. he looks at me, we hold eye contact for a moment. his eyes sparkling, studying my face. his eyes flicker down to my lips, and my heart skips a beat. i smile a bit, and he turns back out to the sky. his face is red, i chuckle. can life be like this forever?

~~~~

authors note- this is Rory's old house, after Christmas her and her dad had moved to a smaller house since they couldn't afford this one. her dad hadn't become a alcoholic yet, he was just severely depressed.