Chapter Twelve: Reassurance

I stared at him through the glass with nothing but a hatred demeaner, eyeing his every movement, every twitch to his eye, as he glared back, matching the tension. He was short, and didn't have the best muscles, not much more than simple toning, but through the glass, it looked different. He looked different.

I waited until he made the first move. He picked up the phone on his end, and I followed his actions, picking up the phone on my side. My hand was tightly gripped around the plastic, anger already running through my body. I watched him in silence.

"Well, well - My first visitor since I've been put in this hellhole," Vince grinned maliciously, peering through the glass. "What a delight."

I tilted my head. "I've heard you've made a decision," I muttered quietly while using my peripherals to look at his grey attire.

Vince's lip twitched, and he raised his eyebrow. "How could you possibly figure that out?"

I kept my repulsive stare. "Of all people, you shouldn't be asking me that," I muttered. "I figure things out, you know that."

He nodded with a piercing stare. "Fair enough. Yes, the decision has been made. It's one hell of a deal I've been given," He evilly laughed. "I didn't expect them to cut me any slack, all things considered."

"Then why did they?" I watched him, with my head tilted downwards, my eyes peering up into his.

"Seems they're after a bigger fish than me." His finger tip pressed against the glass between us. He slid his finger all the way down, then gave a subtle wink.

I didn't react, nor make any movements. "You think Nash helped you?"

He shrugged.

"He's the one that put you in here, in the first place. You think he did this temporarily and you'd end up walking out of here with your freedom?" I exhaled through my nose.

"How else?" He asked.

"Makes you a bit of a chump, don't you think? Nash was going to let you rot in here."

Vince frowned, his eyes twitching in anger. "That's not how it went."

I shook my head. "You're nothing to him, Vince. You should've known he'd set you up. Do you really think he'd choose you over me?"

Vince stared at me. I was getting to him, and he knew it. "It doesn't matter. Him sending me here or not, with a plan to save me or not, isn't what's important. Getting out is. With the deal I'm going through with, I walk out of here regardless. Funny how it all seems to work out in my favour anyways."

"At the expense of your brother," I muttered a whisper.

He paused. "What was that?"

I raised my face. "Was it all worth it, Vince? Having your brothers brains splattered against the wall with no remorse other than a pitiful ploy to ruin my life? Someone who-"

Vince's face paled as he stared through me. "-Stop-"

"-What knowledge do you have that's so valuable to them?" I interjected.

He composed himself, slowly attempting to put himself back together, then smirked. He was faking it.

I frowned. "Is this going to fuck me over?" I asked a question I already knew the answers to. "How?"

For once, Vince was the quiet one.

"What about Darius? Marcus?" I fished.

He tapped his nose, then rested his chin in his hand. "It sure is a shame - Them being caught in the middle of everything."