Chapter 17

I never laughed so much in my life.

Todd was a literal comedian and he was so funny. Turns out smart, rich, white boys had a sense of humor. Who knew? Well, not me, seeing as I didn't know any.

He joked about his friends, about Allura, how he was smarter than most of his teachers in high school, and they would get offended and make him teach the class. Which he did. Being that smart he said, did not help him with the girls.

"It's like they think because I'm smart, I don't like girls."

"Why would anyone think that?"

We were way past the library by now, and I didn't know if I wanted to go back I was enjoying talking with him. Studying was making my head hurt, and I was not good at it.

"Ask the girls."

I found that strange that he, like me, never dated or had a relationship. "But you're cute...for a nerd."

Yes, I know how that sounded as soon as it left my mouth. The equivalent to, "You're cute for a dark skin girl." I did not mean it that way, I promise.

"Do you know how wild that is for you to say? Nerds, or in my case, an extremely smart person, comes in all forms. Not the stereotypical ones you see on TV. I don't wear glasses or constantly talk about theories and call people wrong or correct them when I know the answer. I'm not like the Big Bang Theory guys either."

"I loved that show!"

"And they all eventually developed normal relationships with girls in the end."

"Did they?" I had to admit, I didn't watch all of the show.

"I think it proved a point. All smart people need love too."

Love, he said the "L" word. I couldn't even figure out who I liked or didn't like. Maybe I liked everyone. There was a word for that.

"So, you have a type of girl you like?"

He chewed on his bottom lip for a bit. "Yeah, you."

I stopped walking. What the hecky-heck? This was the third person telling me they liked me in less than a week. Since I already proved the Hottie magnet to be wrong, what was happening here? I was nothing special, and I knew that about myself.

If I was so special, why did no one ask me out in high school?

"Me? Why me?"

"Sometimes you can't explain when you meet someone and know." He picked up my hand. "Look, I don't have that much experience talking to girls, but I like talking with you. We can just get to know each other and hang out. That's all I'm asking."

"Well...okay." What was one more friend to her ever-growing list? "You will still tutor me, right?"

"I'll do more than tutor you. I will guarantee you get an A and pass all the rest of your classes with flying colors."

"Okayyyyy!"

################

I hate school.

Let me clarify...I hate college. Why did I decide to attend this challenging school? I could have gone to a community college. Week three I felt that I was missing home more. Missing my friends, brothers, sister, my daddy, step mummy, and even my toxic mother.

"You can always come home for the weekend," Angel said when we talked on the phone later in the week.

"Sounds like a good idea."

It was a three-day weekend. Perfect to get in an extra day with my family.

"Can I come and stay with you guys?"