Chapter 8

Finally, the day of the mission is here. We're all up at 6:30 and grabbing our things. The large bag I packed with my clothes and the two books I allowed myself to bring is sitting by my door. They told us no giant dresses or outfits that took longer than 5 minutes to put on, no fancy hairstyles, and no makeup. So I throw on some casual clothes and run out the door with my bag in my hand.

We have to load up all of the aircraft and finish up a few last things which means we won't be having breakfast at the castle. Instead they'll provide three choices of meals while we're flying.

I'm one of the last ones outside to help.

"Hey Anne, just grab a crate or a suitcase and bring it into the plane. Someone in there will tell you where everything goes." Aurelia says when she sees me.

I nod and rub my eyes before going over to the pile of things and grabbing a smaller crate.

"Hey, Anne." Michael says, grabbing another crate.

"Hey." I smile.

"Are you nervous? A lot of people are afraid of flying and the only time you've ever been on a plane was on the way here."

"Oh..." I look down and we both go quiet.

"I- I should get this on the plane." Michael says and I nod.

I wait a little before following Michael onto the plane. The person on the plane says to look for the labels. There's 7 aircraft that are being loaded with the cargo outside. There's a number for the plane and a word for where on the plane to put whatever you're carrying.

I put the crate in a little room to the side with lots of other crates in it and go back out. Michael's back at the crate pile when I get there and we each grab a crate.

"Where does yours go?" He asks.

"Sorry?"

"Where does your crate go?" He clears his throat.

"Oh um...Plane 6."

"Mine goes to 3." He frowns and I laugh a little.

"I'll see you later then."

He smiles.
"Okay, I love you." He freezes.

I tense up and he laughs anxiously. I smile and walk to my plane and I don't go back to any pile I see Michael at.

Why are we so close already? Why does everything go so fast here? I think to myself. My mind is racing as I continue to load boxes, bags, crates, barrels, and suitcases. Why did they have to bring me here? What was the purpose of everyone trying to find me.

I wish I wasn't Analia Courtenay. Everything is so different it feels like a part of me died. Renee Shelton was kidnapped and to everyone back at Vex, Renee Shelton is as good as dead. I wish they wouldn't have found me, wouldn't have taken me, wouldn't have remembered me. If they had forgotten about me it would've been better than this.

I get to be well fed, well treated, taken care of mentally and physically. I have more clothes than everyone in Vex combined. And it's wonderful, but the guilt is suffocating. I feel I'm getting more than I deserve, more than I should. There are so many other people, suffering and dying. Better people, who deserve my place. People who deserve a break.

I know Michael thinks we're dating and thinks I'm happy with him, happy in the castle. But I'm not and I never will be. Because I am trapped here. No matter how many jewels and silk curtains and beautiful designs you put on a cage, it's still a cage. And I'm still trapped here. I'm still not their equal. A prisoner can never be equal.