Eventually Samuel found himself face to face with the girl he'd actively avoided, afraid she'd laugh him off as a weak willed man. His sister had taken a turn for the worst and he had saved enough finally to afford one of Selene's remedies. She found his awkwardness charming. The medicine needed to help his sister was required to be administered every day for seven days and they agreed that Selene would visit every morning to do so to make sure the right dose was given.

Every morning Samuel would walk to town with his cart, allow Selene to climb into the cart and then he would pull the cart back to him home. They would have breakfast with Samantha and Selene would give her the medicine. By the third day Samantha was no longer bed bound as she had been for years. By the sixth she was well enough to go to town. By the seventh day Samantha was cured, like she'd never been sick at all.

Still every morning Samuel would pick Selene up with his cart and take her back to the home he and his sister shared. And every afternoon he'd bring her back to the peddler, Selene's cheeks flushed in the afternoon light. Of course like all small towns the rumours spread. Young Samuel had finally found a girl, the prettiest girl in town. When word reached Sampson's ears he began to seethe. Not only had Selene neglected to come to him, she's gone to his brother instead. When Selene began to wear a ring upon her finger and moved into Samuel's home the town rejoiced at the thought of the young couple preparing to be wed.

One day Samuel disappeared from the field, after a day of being missing Selene went into the woods, and after an hour of searching she emerged with Samuel trailing behind. He claimed he'd gotten lost following a girl in a red hood who'd asked for help. Though he had not strayed from the path he hadn't been able to find his way home. But Selene found him and lead him back using the white pebbles she'd left as a marker down the path.

Two days later Samuel went missing again. Selene once again ventured into the woods and emerged just three hours later with a very confused Samuel. "The strangest thing happened." He proclaimed. "I was offered an apple from an elderly lady but when I bit into it I felt I couldn't breathe and I collapsed. Selene woke me up and lead me home again."

Almost a week later Samuel disappeared a third time. Selene went out into the forest but three days later emerged with only a deer trailing behind her. "Where is Samuel?" Called Sampson, standing in the crowd that had gathered. Selene calmly explained that Samuel had drunk water from a cursed spring and been turned into a deer, the very deer that stood behind her. She went on to vow she would cure him, and until she could, would watch over the stag and protect him from harm.

When the crowd had dispersed Sampson approached the woman, who was stroking the soft pelt of the deer. The prey animal did not fear her, finding comfort in her touch and soft words. But when Sampson drew near the stag bound away, retreating to Samantha who waited by the door for him. Sampson spoke to Selene, declaring his intent to marry her. Selene declined, as her heart belonged to another. Enraged Sampson gestured to the deer that was once his brother, asking how she could possibly love a deer.

"I would make a far better husband! I would provide for you all you could ever want!." He shouted. Selene smiled at him calmly and handed him the ring she wore. "So you will marry me then?" He asked.

"No." She dipped her head in apology. "You will find the name of my beloved engraved on that ring as a promise of eternal love. Nothing will change this."

Sampson glanced at the ring and his mouth went dry. Upon the silver band was not his brother's name. In beautiful cursive writing with flowers carved on either side read, 'My love, my life, Samantha.' Selene plucked the ring from his hand and slowly made her way back over to the house, moving inside with her lover and the deer.