What if... the world never ended? Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Ah," The barkeep frowned, knowing what was troubling the young woman but kept it to himself, "I would say that she needs someone to talk to now more than ever, and you look like you're on the same boat." Rick looked up at the older man and sighed, feeling like a kid forced to do something by his parents.

"Alright," Rick murmured, tipping the last of his whiskey into his mouth in one big gulp before reaching out for his new glass and gingerly walking towards the frowning redhead who generously bought him a new drink. He could feel his heart accelerate as he approached the woman, his nerves fraying. He hasn't done this before. What if he messes up entirely? What if he says something and creeps her out? The distance closed quickly despite his slow pace, and before he knew it, he was standing awkwardly in front of the woman, catching her attention.

"Er–" Rick stumbled and rubbed the back of his neck, unsure of what to say, "Thanks for the drink," Seriously?! Rick screamed at himself internally. A beautiful woman buys your miserable ass a drink, and all you can say is thanks? Shane would be pissing himself laughing if he could see me now.

"No problem," The woman said, her dark-painted red lips stretching in a kind smile, "You looked like you needed another drink." Rick looked down at his feet and smiled, wondering how pathetic he appeared.

"I look that bad, huh?" Rick chuckled humorlessly and stuffed his hand in his pocket. The woman bit her lip and looked down, her head shaking.

"I was gonna lie to you, try to spare your feelings, but yeah," She admitted, her cheeks lightly dusted with a light pink shade, "You look pretty gloomy sitting over there by your lonesome, staring at your wedding ring." Rick reverted his gaze onto the woman and scrunched his brows together, "I'm pretty observant. Sorry," The woman pushed her mobile device to the side and turned in her stool, her hand motioning to the empty seat beside her.

Rick nervously sat beside her and placed his glass on the bar, his eyes darting everywhere but the woman beside him. Why did he feel so nervous and unsure of himself? The divorce did a number on him; he'll be the first to admit that, but he never felt this insecure. The woman next to him cleared her throat and took a sip of her alcoholic beverage, her eyes on him as if she were trying to figure him out.

"I'm Rick Grimes," Rick finally introduced himself when he mustered the courage, his hand extending to her.

"June Gomez," June smiled and grabbed his large hand. Rick felt stupid when shivers of electricity ran up and down his spine at her touch. "So, Rick Grimes," June leaned forward, her cleavage making a subtle appearance, making Rick gulp nervously and dart his eyes away, "What brings your sorry soul here to this bar on a lonely Friday night? This isn't exactly the type of place a happy person comes to,"

Rick cocked an eyebrow at the beautiful woman before him, his heart stuttering. What does she mean by that? Is she just as unhappy as I am, and that's why she's here?

"My divorce was finalized today," Rick replied without thinking. June frowned at him and leaned back in her chair, her brown eyes clouding with emotion as she stared at him. He couldn't help but notice how the woman seemed to brush away her pain and bring that false light of happiness back into them.

"I'm sorry to hear that, Rick," June whispered, taking another sip of her beverage, "Did you love her? Or him?" Rick looked down and smiled at his bare hands. He didn't know why he was smiling when June was just trying to be inclusive, but there he was, grinning like an idiot at nothing.

"Yes, I did." Rick answered, his eyes meeting hers, "What about you? You said this wasn't the type of place a happy person comes to, so why are you here?"

At this, June lowered her eyes and finally let her frown spread across her pouty lips. Rick suddenly felt a wave of regret flush over him when her brown eyes seemingly filled with tears. He watched helplessly as she furiously blinked away the moisture in her eyes.