chapter 6

I stirred awake as the carriage came to a halt. Startled, I sat up. How could I sleep with him in the carriage? Fumbling, I stood up, needing to get out as soon as possible. Mr.Arthur leaned forward to open the carriage door, his arm brushed mine in the process.

"Get out," he snapped.

Without a word, I went inside the house. My heart was beating loudly. I couldn't comprehend what had just happened with Mr. Arthur. He had actually dropped me at my house without inflicting any harm. I sighed in relief as I went to the kitchen to drink some water. I realized the food was sparse in the house and I needed to ask Mr. Oliver for my wages, provided that the devil didn't ruin my chances of employment there.

My blood was boiling as I thought about him. How dare he threaten me at every corner? It was getting harder and harder to ignore him. Whenever I went on the right track, he was there, ruining everything for me. And for what reason? Yes—James was involved in the protests and maybe, he had intended to burn down the building but we all had endured enough for that already. Mr. Arthurs's hate ran deeper than me being related to James. It was as if he hated me more than he even hated James. I got my cardigan from under the bed and wrapped it around myself as I shivered with cold. Some people were the devil, reincarnated for the millionth time and Mr. William Arthur was one of them.

"Ash, Ash!" it was Alis, shaking me awake.

"What's the matter?" I jerked awake and rubbed my eyes.

"Ash, Mr. Oliver.."

I immediately sat up, "What happened to him, Alis?" I asked slowly.

"He is very sick, Ash. I think they are moving away to get a better treatment for him—your job—"

I shoved away my blanket, panicking I said, "I have to go there right now!"

Alis tried to stop me. "Ash, Mr. Arthur, and his whole family is there. Please, don't go! he will kill you!"

I had finally decided to tell my family everything last night.

I scoffed, "That devil be damned! I am going!"

I changed my clothes quickly and made my way downstairs. Putting on my run-down shoes, I hastily walked to reach Mr. Oliver's house. I knocked at the door frantically and made my way inside when the servant opened it. As I entered the living room, I realised Mrs. Harvey and Mr. Arthur were already there. He looked up and saw me. His blue eyes flashed and he clenched his jaw.

"What are you doing here?" He snapped.

"I came for Mr. Oliver, his health—"

"His health is of no concern to you," He said, completely dismissing me.

"It is of perfect concern to me and I will meet him right at this instant!" I snapped.

I turned away and started for the stairs. I heard him coming after me as I opened the door and made my way into Mr. Oliver's room. Mr. Oliver was lying weakly on the bed, the dim sunlight was cascading gently inside. My heart sank on seeing him this way.

"Mr. Oliver?" I whispered.

"Ash" he coughed. "come inside, honey."

I slowly made my way inside and sat on the chair beside his bed.

"What in the world happened to you, Mr. Oliver?"
I asked gently as I touched his hand. He was burning up.

"Old age," He replied, chuckling.

I heard the door open and close behind me. It was Mr. Arthur, he came and sat on the other seat opposite me and beside Mr. Oliver. Mr. Oliver smiled at him.