Chapter 21: Territorial (Part I)

Jessica sat next to Cass while the latter put bandage on her broken leg. Matt on the other hand was sitting next to me, still holding me by the neck in my wolf form.

Ugh! Like seriously? She's a werewolf for crying out loud! She'll heal eventually!

If only Matt didn't get a hold of me just in time, I could've fully chewed the leg off of that bitch. I still can't get pass the fact that she has this ridiculous idea of trying to replace me as Matt's mate and that she was just trying to seduce my mate five minutes ago! A snarl came out from my mouth upon recalling what happened but it was quickly followed by a whimper when Matt pressed his hand on my neck. It pained me. But it pained my heart more knowing that he's protecting this woman from me!

Cass gave a final survey on Jessica's leg. Then she looked at her pryingly. "What did you do to anger her? Surely, she wouldn't do what she did if you didn't do something which triggered her to attack."

Jessica looked at her defensively. "I didn't do anything, Luna. I just thought I would give Alpha a massage because he looked worn-out a while ago so I stood up and walked towards him. Then that's when that dog attacked me." She eyed me heatedly.

Yeah, with you biting your lips as you walked and looking preposterously tempting, sure! Pff!

I then felt Matt's grip on my neck loosen. He stood up beside me. We all turned to look at him. He looked exhausted and was about to lay off everything tonight. My heart went out for him. I would do anything for a chance to cradle him in my arms and somehow ease his burden even just for tonight.

All of a sudden, a sob escape from Jessica's mouth. She was holding her face, wiping pretend tears. I'd love to roll my eyes at her if only my wolf eyes would allow me. I groaned. How irritatingly smart can she get?

"Jessica, why are you crying?" Cass asked in her motherly tone.

Jessica sniffed before replying, "I-I'm sorry, j-just that..." Sniff. "I suddenly felt scared to be on my own tonight." Sniff. "I-I just feel vulnerable. I'm sorry..." Then she began crying, this time with real tears flowing on her face.

I should definitely give her an Oscar when I get my human back. Like, seriously, for a moment there I would've actually believed her little drama.

Cass looked sympathetically at the woman sobbing before turning to Matt. The latter looked as if he's deciding what to do with her.

A small whimper escaped my mouth. She can't stay here. Not even just for a night. I could only guess what this witch has in mind.

It was taking Matt too long to decide, so Cass announced, "You can stay here if you want. There's a spare room upstairs." Matt gave her a quizzical look which she ignored.

I let out a breath. Oh well, I guess there's no sleeping for me tonight.

I looked at the clock hanging on the wall opposite Matt's room and saw that it's already two in the morning but I just can't get myself to sleep. It was as if I could still feel the adrenaline rushing through my veins that time I pounced on Jessica. Also, I still haven't gotten over the fact that my mate didn't even let me go inside our room tonight. I figured he was still mad at me for trying to protect him from her.

How great is that? I thought sarcastically.

From outside the door, I could hear Matt turning in his bed with heavy breaths. He must be having nightmares again. He should've let me stay with him. He never gets nightmares when I sleep beside him. I decided I'd bang the door to wake him up.

But even before I could stand on my feet, the door of the room next to Matt's opened. Then Jessica, wearing what I guess was Cass' nightgown, walked out from the room. She abruptly stopped by her tracks upon seeing me. She looked as if she was thinking about whether to carry on walking out or to go back inside.

After a moment, she filled her lungs with air and straightened her back before walking towards me with confident strides. Her wounded leg must have healed now.

I fiercely snarled at her which made her stop by her tracks again. But I noticed the grim expression on her face.

"You stupid dog!" She exclaimed in a controlled voice, not wanting to wake the others up. "What were you thinking for attacking me!?" A growl escaped her mouth. Her pupils began to dilate. She looked real pissed.

I growled back at her. If I am to become Luna, I have to prove to this she-wolf my dominance. I can't just let her intimidate me. I stood on my four legs, slightly lowering my shoulders and my head with a snarl plastered on my face as I move my rear back towards my mate's room. This position indicates either a challenge or a protective stance to show your claim on a territory. This time, for me it's both. This is my territory and my mate. She can't claim any of it.

Jessica's face unstiffened a little and for a while she seemed confused with what I did. It's not typical for an ordinary wolf to not be fearful of a werewolf. Somehow, wolves recognize the supremacy of werewolves as a species and immediately stand down at the sight of them.

With a frown on her forehead, she started to move closer to examine me. I didn't move. In my mind, all I could think of was that I was marking my territory against an enemy.

"Who are you?" She asked questioningly.

Snarl.

She took a step closer.

"Where did you come from?"

Growl.

She took another step closer.

"Blair." She paused then straightened her back. With arms crossed over her chest and her face unreadable she asked nonchalantly, "Are you her?"

My eyes grew wide.

Then the door flew open.

For a moment, Matt just stood at the door and looked questioningly at me and Jessica. He was naked from the waist up, tiny droplets of sweat trickled down his face all the way to his bare chest. He looked like he just woke up from a bad dream but that didn’t even bother me nor Jessica who was staring appreciatively at his body. I stared up at him in admiration. Damn. I can’t help myself and I surely can’t blame the other she-wolf for desiring my mate. When the Moon Goddess showered her blessings on the looks department, this man certainly caught it all.

“What’s goin’ on here?”

“I-I’m just-“, Jessica stammered while she strained to put herself together. She then cleared her throat. “I’m on my way down to get a glass of water, Alpha.”

Matt didn’t say anything. He turned to go back to his room but Jessica grabbed him by the arm just before he could shut the door close. He stopped on his tracks in surprise. When he turned around, his gaze went down from Jessica’s hand on his arm up to her face. She met his gaze. For a while, she looked unsure of what to do. But she eventually managed to compose herself.

“Err… would you like a glass of water, A-Alpha?”

 Matt thought about it for a second. “Yes. Thank you. ” A yawn escaped his mouth.

“Alright! I’ll just bring it up to your room then!” Jessica replied while flashing her irritatingly charming smile.

When the door shut, she turned to face me. Her face was back to beast mode.

“I know you’re in there Blair… Watch me get your mate.” She winked at me before turning her back. A wicked smile plastered on her lips.