Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Chapter seventeen: The Man With Two Faces

Harry shuddered, remembering what had happened just last week.

It was Quirrell.

Fred and George gasped.

"There's more." Harry said seriously.

"No." They gasped dramatically.

Around the Hall, people were looking at each other, horrified that the rumors, for once, seemed to be true.

"You!" gasped Harry.

"Me," he said calmly. "I wondered whether I'd be meeting you here, Potter."

"His stutter's gone." Lavender Brown whispering to Pavarti.

"But I thought - Snape -"

"Severus?" Quirrell laughed, and it wasn't his usual quivering treble, either, but cold and sharp. "Yes, Severus does seem the type, doesn't he? So useful to have him swooping around like an overgrown bat. Next to him, who would suspect p-p-poor, st-stuttering P-Professor Quirrell?"

Snape growled at the book.

Everyone else laughed - with an undertone of nervousness -, because, yes, he does walk around like an overgrown bat.

Harry's mind was in overdrive, going at a million miles a second, trying to look at the situation from every angle. However, no matter how he looked at it, some things just didn't add up.

"But Snape tried to kill me!"

"No, no, no. I tried to kill you.

Growls were heard around the Hall.

"Your friend Miss Granger accidentally knocked me over as she rushed to set fire to Snape at that Quidditch match.

Many people chuckled at the reminder of that match. Snape glared at Hermione, as she slid further down into her chair.

"She broke my eye contact with you. Another few seconds and I'd have got you off that broom. I'd have managed it before then if Snape hadn't been muttering a countercurse, trying to save you."

"Snape was trying to save me?" Harry said, confused.

James and his friends looked at Snape, and said, sounding like they were getting their teeth pulled, "Sorry Snape."

Snape looked at them down the length of his hook nose. After a moment he turned away, and back to the book.

But then another thought hit him. "My broom had acted the same way as Neville's broom had in our first flying lesson."

Frank, Alice growled, while Augusta gave the book a glare.

"Yes, well. I had to test the curse on someone. Who would miss that blundering idiot anyway?

Cries of outrage rang throughout the hall.

"You're the one who won't be missed!" Harry shouted.

"Yeah!" Ron cried.

The Longbottoms were beside themselves in anger.

"And of course Snape was trying to save you. Why do you think he wanted to referee your next match? He was trying to make sure I didn't do it again. Funny, really... he needn't have bothered. I couldn't do anything with Dumbledore watching. All the other teachers thought Snape was trying to stop Gryffindor from winning, he did make himself unpopular ... and what a waste of time, when after all that, I'm going to kill you tonight."