Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Chapter five, Diagon Alley.

Harry woke early the next morning. Although he could tell it was daylight, he kept his eyes shut tight.

"It was a dream," he told himself firmly. "I dreamed a giant called Hagrid came to tell me I was going to a school for sorcerers. When I open my eyes I'll be back at the Dursleys, in my cupboard."

There was suddenly a loud tapping noise.

And there's Aunt Petunia knocking on the door, Harry thought, his heart sinking. But he still didn't open his eyes. It had been such a good dream.

Tap. Tap. Tap.

"All right, " Harry mumbled, "I'm getting up."

"Oh Harry." Lily said. She came over Harry, and enveloped him in a motherly hug. Harry was slow to hug her back, as a part of him was convinced that this was all a very elaborate prank and the other shoe was about to drop.

...

"Hagrid!" said Harry loudly. "There's an owl -"

"Pay him," Hagrid grunted into the sofa.

"What?"

"He wants payin' fer deliverin' the paper. Look in the pockets."

Hagrid's coat seemed to be made of nothing but pockets - bunches of keys, slug pellets, balls of string, peppermint humbugs, teabags ... finally, Harry pulled out a handful of strange-looking coins.

"Give him five Knuts," said Hagrid sleepily.

"Wait, wait, wait," Clint snorts, "nuts?"

McGonagall frowns disapprovingly at him, "K-N-U-T, not N-U-T. In the wizarding world we have our own currency. There's the Galleon, the Sickle, and the Knut."

"You guys actually have a currency called a 'knut'. How do teenagers, and let's be real 20 year olds deal with this?" Clint asked, trying to suppress his laughter.

Many people look at Clint in confusion.

"For example," Bucky provides, "'And how would you like to pay for your copy of, 'Totally Rad and Probably dangerous creatures and where to totally find them, by Rubeus Hagrid?', 'With deez nuts!'"

The younger students, the male half of the audience in attendance and those who hung out with boys and men more than girls broke down in laughter once again. While the female half who weren't laughing, shook their heads in disgust.

"Boys." Lily shook her head at her husband and his friends who were all laughing.

...

"Wizards have banks?"

"Just the one. Gringotts. Run by goblins."

"Goblins?!" Peter says in excitement.

"Goblins exist?!" Shuri asks, grinning.

"Yes they do. And, no I will not tell you, as the books will more than likely tell you in due time." Professor McGonagall says.

Peter and Shuri didn't know whether to be annoyed or to pout. So they settled for just turning back to the book.

"Goblins?"

"Yeah - so yeh'd be mad ter try an' rob it, I'll tell yeh that. Never mess with goblins, Harry. Gringotts is the safest place in the world fer anything yeh want ter keep safe - 'cept maybe Hogwarts. As a matter o' fact, I gotta visit Gringotts anyway. Fer Dumbledore. Hogwarts business." Hagrid drew himself up proudly. "He usually gets me ter do important stuff fer him. Fetchin' you - getting' things from Gringotts - knows he can trust me, see."