Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Chapter nine: The Midnight Duel

"Harry," Lily said looking at Harry, "you didn't."

Harry then looked anywhere but at his mom. Lily just sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose.

Harry had never believed he would meet a boy he hated more than Dudley, but that was before he met Draco Malfoy. Still, first-year Gryffindors only had Potions with the Slytherins, so they didn't have to put up with Malfoy much. Or at least, they didn't until they spotted a notice pinned up in the Gryffindor common room that made them all groan. Flying lessons would be starting on Thursday - and Gryffindor and Slytherin would be learning together.

Malfoy growled once again, at being compared to a muggle again.

"Typical," said Harry darkly. "Just what I always wanted. To make a fool of myself on a broomstick in front of Malfoy."

He had been looking forward to learning to fly more than anything else.

James and Sirius both whined pathetically, at the reminder of what Harry said. That he doesn't even like quidditch.

"Malfoy, I swear," James said, "if you are the reason that Harry doesn't like to fly..."

Malfoy went to speak out on the fact that Harry had lied, but Loki, who just couldn't help himself when it comes to mischief, used a silencing spell on Malfoy.

"You don't know that you'll make a fool of yourself," said Ron reasonably. "Anyway, I know Malfoy's always going on about how good he is at Quidditch, but I bet that's all talk."

"You take that back, Weasley!" Malfoy demanded.

"Make me Malfoy!" Ron yelled right back.

Steve lets out a loud, high pitched whistle, "Not. Now."

Ron and Malfoy both sit back down, glaring at each other.

...

A barn owl brought Neville a small package from his grandmother. He opened it excitedly and showed them a glass ball the size of a large marble, which seemed to be full of white smoke.

"It's a Remembrall!" he explained. "Gran knows I forget things - this tells you if there's something you've forgotten to do. Look, you hold it tight like this and if it turns red - oh..." His face fell, because the Remembrall had suddenly glowed scarlet, "...you've forgotten something..."

Neville was trying to remember what he'd forgotten when Draco Malfoy, who was passing the Gryffindor table, snatched the Remembrall out of his hand.

Harry and Ron jumped to their feet. They were half hoping for a reason to fight Malfoy,

"Harry." Lily said, giving him the "Mom Look".

"Malfoy's a prat." said Hermione, "And a bully."

"If anybody deserves to be taken down a peg or two, it's him." Ron said, backing Harry up.

"I don't like bullies." Harry said simply.

Bucky and Steve looked at each other, and smiled as they thought back to when they were kids, and Steve had said the exact same thing.

but Professor McGonagall, who could spot trouble quicker than any teacher in the school, was there in a flash.

"'Course she can." James said.

"She was our teacher." Sirius chuckled.

"What's going on?"

"Malfoy's got my Remembrall, Professor."