𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐖𝐄𝐍𝐓𝐘 𝐎𝐍𝐄

THE SAIL

SOPHIE'S LIFE had undergone a profound shift in the past few months as King Ragnar Lothbrok and his Viking crew prepared for their voyage to England in the coming spring.

Since Ubbe had brought her to the cottage, she had been confined there, and she had lost track of how much time had passed. The days dragged on with a monotonous routine, spent mostly in solitude. Despite being their captive, they ensured she was cared for, sending Helen to provide her with food and warm baths.

Sophie found herself with nothing to occupy her time—no chores, no responsibilities. The lack of purpose was slowly gnawing at her, making her feel like she was losing her grasp on reality.

King Ragnar had not visited her since the day he rescued her from her attackers. That harrowing incident haunted her nights, and she found herself unable to forgive him. While he did rescue her and stationed guards outside her confinement, it was his actions that set the chain of events in motion, and she couldn't shake her feelings of resentment towards him.

Unlike his father, Ubbe visited her from time to time making sure she had everything she needed. He was too kind to her to an extent that made her question whether he was truly a Viking and the son of Ragnar Lothbrok.

Sophie had been looking forward to the day she would return home to her father and her brother whom she had missed infinitely, but her nerves didn't settle when she thought about what the Vikings were planning to do. They weren't just gonna hand her over to her father and leave, were they?

She had her doubts.

The day had finally arrived when Helen helped Sophie prepare for her voyage back to her homeland. It was her third time on a ship after her initial trip to Rome, but her first time on a Viking ship, leaving her uncertain of what to anticipate.

From what Helen had gathered, King Harald Finehair was joining the expedition, supporting his Norwegian ally, Ragnar Lotbrok. Helen had informed Sophie of his aspirations to become the King of all Norway, a goal achievable only if Ragnar was eliminated. However, Sophie didn't concern herself too much with their machinations; all she cared about was returning home safely. But that was something no one could guarantee. Who knew what schemes Ragnar Lotbrok had in mind?

"Why don't you come with me, Helen?" Sophie inquired as the older woman fastened her dress.

"I have no place else to go," Helen replied softly. She had shared her story with Sophie—the tale of how she ended up enslaved, forced to leave her two children behind during a Viking Jarl's raid on her hometown. "It's been too long."

"You could stay with me," Sophie suggested. "My father wouldn't object."

"They wouldn't let me leave, Sophie," Helen said. "We both know that. I'm still their slave."