𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐈𝐗𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

SHIELD

     SOPHIE FINALLY summoned the courage to visit Helen and Yelda, deciding to let go of the fear of Ivar and his brothers

SOPHIE FINALLY summoned the courage to visit Helen and Yelda, deciding to let go of the fear of Ivar and his brothers. She knew she couldn't hide forever.

The three women spent their time engaged in their usual activities, with the two housekeepers rambling on and on, their words falling on deaf ears as Sophie listened with little interest. The gossip among the servants meant little to her.

"He did strike her," Yelda mentioned, drawing Sophie back into the conversation. "I saw him, and it wasn't the first time."

"Poor Aslaug," Helen sympathized. "She has endured enough."

"I think he still cares for Lagertha," Yelda continued. "Does he still bother you?" she asked Sophie.

"King Ragnar?" She inquired.

"Yes, does he still visit you?" the young woman pressed. "You ought to be careful."

"No, he hasn't visited in a while," Sophie reassured her.

"That's good," Yelda nodded.

"What happened to him being a good man?" Sophie asked Helen.

"No one said he wasn't," Helen replied.

"Then why do I have to be careful?"

"What Yelda meant was-"

"No, I meant what she thinks I meant," Yelda interrupted Helen, turning her gaze to Sophie. "Ragnar can't be trusted. If he gets to know the truth, he'll use it against your own people. That's what he did to Athelstan once."

"He wouldn't know," Sophie assured her.

Her friendship with the two women had blossomed over the past few months. Yelda felt like a sister to her, while Helen reminded Sophie of the mother she never had. She trusted them enough to open up, tell them her secrets, and they didn't judge her.

Later that day, Sophie met with Ubbe, who surprised her with a new sword, a request from his father. However, it wasn't just the new sword that caught Sophie's attention, as Ubbe also had two shields with him.

"What are we doing today?" She asked Ubbe, who grinned and handed her the heavy sword, reminiscent of Ragnar's.

"You'll see."

"What about archery?" She inquired.

"We'll have to postpone that for another time," he explained. "For now, we will focus on fighting."

With that said, one of the shields was tossed at her, and she caught it awkwardly.

"The shield is part of your armour," Ubbe explained. "It's also used for bludgeoning and shoving while in a shield wall."

Sophie nodded as she focused on every word he was telling her.

"You might find it heavy at first, but you'll get used to it," he continued.

"Start by fixing your stance," he instructed Sophie, who adjusted her posture to mirror his. They stood facing each other. "Your shield should always be on the side you want to block attacks from, while your sword defends the other side. Is that clear?"

"Yes," Sophie nodded.

"Thrust at the face," he explained as he demonstrated the tactic on her. "Follow it with a pass towards your opponent's sword side and a cut to the leading leg."

Ubbe gave Sophie some time to practice the technique over and over with her shield in hand. It was indeed heavy, adding to the weight of the sword. She was sure she'd be sore by the end of the day.

"Good, now defend against attacks to the body with counterattacks to the sword hand, letting your shield do the defence."

The blows from Ubbe's sword banged against Sophie's shield repeatedly as she practised blocking his attacks.

"Now I'll attack your leg, what would you do?" Ubbe said, swinging his sword at Sophie. She used her shield to block his attack, causing him to halt. "No, ignore your shield, and counterattack to my leading leg."

Sophie did as instructed this time.

"That's good. Now, defend against attacks to the head with your shield, and counterattack to the sword hand or face," he explained. They got into action again, and Ubbe's blows shook the shield that Sophie raised to block his attacks. She then counter-attacked him to the face, just as instructed, causing him to raise his shield too and block her hits.

"That's good," Ubbe said as he sat down to take a sip from the leather drinking pouch he had. He offered it to her. "You did great."

"Thank you," Sophie replied before taking a sip, fighting the urge to spit the ale out. She hated ale.

"I spotted you in the city today," Ubbe told her as she handed him back his drink.

"Yes, I went to visit some friends," she told him.

"That's good," he said. "You don't have to fear Ivar anymore."

"Why do they hate me so much?" She dared to ask him. "Your brothers."

"They don't hate you," he told her, then stood up to gather the two shields. "No one really hates you, Sophie. They're all just curious about you."

Curious?

Did her looks give that much away? Is that why everyone wanted to know her secrets?