𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐈𝐅𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

HATE

SOPHIE WAS SUPPOSED to meet Ubbe at their training field, which was quite a long walk from her place, let alone from Ubbe's, as she preferred to stay away from the public eye.

However, Ubbe was nowhere to be found when she reached her destination. She waited impatiently to start the day's session. For unknown reasons, Ubbe hadn't allowed her to have her own sword or bow, leaving her with only her knife—Torvi's knife—to defend herself.

She heard a rustling noise not far away, presuming it was Ubbe. But a bolting figure told her otherwise as she ducked away just in time to avoid the blade of steel swinging at her.

Surprised to see King Ragnar standing there with a sword in hand and a smirk on his face, she found herself glaring at him as her quivering hand found the hilt of her knife. It was no wonder where Ivar got his sneakiness from.

"Where's Ubbe?" she asked, growing more and more irritated as he studied her with those glinting eyes of his before he almost caught her off-guard by swinging his sword at her again, causing her to recoil.

"What are you doing?" she gulped, watching how his eyes scanned her.

"You've got some fast reflexes," he said as he started to circle her like a predator waiting for its prey. "That's good."

Sophie stood there in anticipation, her eyes following Ragnar. He surely knew how to make her feel vulnerable and weak, just like a prey.

She flinched as he approached her in a fast motion, only to realize he was offering her his sword. "Go on," he smirked as he waited for her to take the sword, which she hesitantly did, before standing up straight, noticing how heavy the sword was compared to the one she was used to.

Was she really allowed to strike the King of Kattegat?

Ragnar pulled out the axe he had on his side as he took on a defensive stance, waiting for Sophie, who was still debating whether to strike or not.

Swinging the heavy sword, she almost stumbled back as the metals clashed together. "You're weak," Ragnar whispered as he gripped her forearm before twisting her around, her back hitting his chest just as the axe's blade was pressed gently against her neck. "Why is that?" he whispered in her ear.

"I'm not used to this sword," she mustered the courage to speak up. "It's heavier than the one Ubbe gave me."

Ragnar hummed in her ear in response before pushing her away aggressively, causing her to stumble and fall.

"Where's Ubbe?" Sophie repeated her earlier question as she remained on the ground, looking up at Ragnar, who towered above her.

"What do you want with my son?" he asked her with a smirk.

"He was supposed to meet me here," she told him.

"I know," Ragnar muttered.

"And why is he not here?"

Ragnar ignored her questions as he glinted his eyes on her before speaking. "Stand up," he said.

She obediently did as told, grabbing the sword off the ground where it fell before she stood up, anticipating whatever was to come next.

Sophie was nervous as her hand shook, making it even harder to keep a steady grip on the heavy sword. Something about Ragnar always seemed to intimidate her, perhaps it was his eyes.

"Why do you want to learn how to fight?" He asked her.

She let out a sigh. "I have always wanted to learn how to fight," she said, only to realize her mistake as she was now sure he was trying to get her to open up.

"And why haven't you?" he smirked.

"I was a slave," Sophie said, now aware of his intentions. "Slaves are not allowed to."

"And yet one way or another you are still one," Ragnar told her.

"Then why do you allow it?" she dared to ask.

"Should I not?" he asked her as he took a step towards her.

"No," she muttered.

"What are your secrets, Sophie?" Ragnar asked, much to her surprise.

"I'm not quite sure if I should tell you my secrets," she replied.

"And why is that?" he asked.

"I'm afraid I can't."

"There's nothing to be afraid of," he spoke as he leaned closer, so close that she could feel his mead-filled breath upon her skin.

Isn't there? Funny coming from the man who always seemed to find a way to intimidate her.

Looking away from his intense gaze upon her, Sophie took a step back and he let her as he smiled.

"You are afraid of me," Ragnar spoke. "Why are you afraid of me?"

"I'm not sure," Sophie looked down at her feet as she could feel the heat rising to her face.

Bringing his axe under her chin, Ragnar forced her to look up at him, causing her to gulp in fear. "Why don't you just leave me alone?" Sophie muttered.

"Because I like you," he told her. "And yet you hate me."

Perhaps, she did.

"Do you hate me, Sophie?" he asked, her name sounding weird on his lips.

"Do you want me to hate you?" Sophie asked him.

Ragnar didn't reply and instead chuckled before pulling away his axe, causing Sophie to let out a breath she was holding.

And again he started circling her.

"Perhaps you enjoy it," Sophie muttered to herself, but he surely did hear her as he stopped right in front of her again.

"Enjoy what?" he smirked.

"People fearing you."

He laughed, which made Sophie raise her sword ready to strike, but of course, if she had been considered to have fast reflexes, well, he had way faster ones as he blocked her sword with his axe, causing her to stumble back again.

He smirked as he yanked the sword out of her hand, slightly satisfied with himself.

"Funny of you to end up here," he mumbled to Sophie's confusion before walking away from her.

And that's when she knew the answer to his previous question. She indeed did hate him.

 She indeed did hate him