𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐎𝐍𝐄

SURVIVE

KATTEGAT. That was the only word Sophie could understand amidst all the chatter. She had heard a few tales about that place, or was it a village? Uncertainty clouded her thoughts, but she hoped to learn more soon. Kattegat was notorious for being the stronghold of the pagans, and the prospect of being sold to these barbarians sent her heart racing.

After what felt like an eternity, Sophie was roughly pulled to her feet from the wagon that had transported her and others to what she assumed was Kattegat. She hadn't had the chance to meet her fellow captives, as her head was covered with a bag that blocked out most of the light, making it impossible to tell the time of day.

The head covering puzzled her. She had been sold and bought once before, but her previous owners had never hidden her identity like this. What was the purpose behind it? Were they afraid that she might bond with her fellow captives and hatch an escape plan?

Her thoughts were abruptly interrupted when the bag was yanked off her head, causing her eyes to struggle to adjust to the sudden brightness. Glancing around, she surmised that she was in what appeared to be a village, a sizable one at that. Her wrists, feet, and neck were still bound, and she winced as she ran a hand over her sore throat.

Flanking her were two other captives: a young lad who couldn't be much older than her and a girl with dark skin and swollen eyes. They too were bound by ropes, restricting their movements, and Sophie couldn't help but notice the terror in their eyes. She was terrified herself, no doubt, but she tried her best to conceal her fear, though she might have failed.The girl in front of her glanced up, much younger and thinner, as if she had spent her life as a slave—a life Sophie was still struggling to adapt to, failing miserably.

There were about seven more people, whom she refused to call slaves, tethered to the same rope, forming a straight line on the crowded market. Before she could get a good look at any of them, the rope connecting her to the others was pulled roughly, causing her to stumble, only to be hoisted up by the woman who owned them.

"Stand up!" the woman hissed in her Frankish language, which Sophie had learned during her time among the Franks.

As she found her feet, she was dragged along with the others, further into the market, until a tall blonde woman halted them. She walked down the line, scrutinizing each captive, before stopping in front of Sophie.

Her eyes swept up and down Sophie's body before settling on her face. The fact that the noblewoman had spent more time examining her than her companions didn't go unnoticed by Sophie, making her feel sick to her stomach. She didn't want to be sold to the heathens, and although the buyer was a woman rather than a man, which offered a slight relief, Sophie simply didn't want to be sold.

The tall woman reached for the girl's face, tilting it to the right and left as if she were a doll. Sophie fought the urge to spit in her face but couldn't hide the glare she shot at the woman, who surprisingly smiled at her before nodding to the seller.

The tall woman stepped back, allowing a man to cut the ropes binding the girl to the others but leaving the one that bound Sophie intact, before pushing the girl forward.

Sophie looked around, trying to seek help from the other captives, although she knew they were likely powerless. Nevertheless, she tried. Her silent pleas were cut short as she was pulled by another man who seemed to be in the company of the tall woman who had purchased her. Sophie could do little more than follow, hoping for the best, whatever that might be.

The journey around the village seemed longer than expected for Sophie, whose steps were constrained by her restraints, leaving bruises on her ankles. Her eyes explored this new world around her. Children of all ages played, men and women worked on various tasks, some tending to crops while others maintained their weapons, just as the rumors had suggested.

Once again, fear gripped Sophie as she struggled to grasp the situation. The tall woman and the man slowed down, prompting Sophie to look up.

A larger house stood before them, presumably belonging to the woman. It wasn't overly lavish, but it stood out compared to the smaller cottages in the vicinity, leaving Sophie wondering about the woman's identity.

Sophie's inquisitive gaze did not escape the tall woman, who glanced back at her before gesturing for her to follow. The man walked away, leaving Sophie to speculate if he was one of the woman's servants.

The interior of the house appeared neat but unfamiliar to Sophie, who had never been in such a place before. Once again, the woman noticed Sophie's curiosity about her surroundings, offering a smile before placing a hand on her shoulder, causing Sophie to jump in terror.

The woman said something Sophie couldn't comprehend, judging from the expression on her face, she assumed the woman was apologizing for frightening her. However, the conversation continued in the barbarian language, leaving Sophie even more bewildered.

"Dróttning Aslaug," the woman finally said, pointing to herself and placing her hand on her chest. Sophie found the name strange but chose not to respond or indicate any understanding of what Aslaug had said. The woman then pointed at Sophie, who recoiled instinctively, not wanting the heathen's hands on her again.

Eventually, the woman gave up, turning and walking into another room, leaving Sophie standing in the large entryway, unsure of her next move. Had she offended her? Not that she cared. Perhaps she should if she wanted to escape her restraints or, even more importantly, survive this place.

 Perhaps she should if she wanted to escape her restraints or, even more importantly, survive this place