𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐅𝐎𝐔𝐑𝐓𝐄𝐄𝐍

BETTER LEFT UNKNOWN

WEEKS HAD PASSED, and Sophie dedicated her days to daily training sessions with Ubbe. King Ragnar was conspicuously absent since their last encounter, which was a relief, considering how he enjoyed playing mind games that confused her.

Ubbe proved to be an excellent and patient teacher, training her as if preparing for battle. Sophie was thankful for his guidance. She never imagined she would have the opportunity to wield a sword, let alone learn the art of combat. One aspect of Viking culture that appealed to her was the way they treated women equally.

The next day's training involved archery. Sophie, although skilled with a sword, was eager to try her hand at being an archer, a childhood aspiration. She was thrilled about the prospect, only to find that archery was more challenging than expected, leading to consistent failures.

"Watch your stance," Ubbe instructed, correcting her posture. "Face me, not the target; you keep forgetting that."

Sophie followed his guidance, readying her arrow and adjusting her grip. "Keep a relaxed grip," Ubbe advised, standing behind her. "Good, now pull back the string and remember to use your back muscles."

She followed his instructions, aiming carefully at the target. "Release," Ubbe directed, and as she did, the arrow finally hit its mark on the tree, prompting a grin from Sophie. "You did it," Ubbe praised, smiling. "Now, try again."

Sophie made repeated attempts and managed to hit the target a few more times, surprising herself. When Ubbe was satisfied with her progress, he called an end to the day's training.

"My mother had asked of you," Ubbe suddenly mentioned as they packed up. "She wants you to come and eat with us."

Sophie was unsure about her response; was she even allowed to decline?

As if reading her mind, Ubbe continued, "It would be rude to refuse the Queen's invitation."

"Tell her I'll be there," Sophie replied, then walked back to her place. She had to endure the gazes of Sigurd, Ivar, and perhaps even King Ragnar—it couldn't be that difficult, could it?

Damn me.

Sophie's mind was a whirlwind of nerves as she prepared herself, both physically and mentally, for her meeting with Queen Aslaug and her family. She almost changed her mind, wrestling with second thoughts, but ultimately decided against it. Refusing Queen Aslaug's invitation, who had been nothing but kind, would indeed be impolite.

So she went.

She was running late, of course.

She entered the hall slowly, where the Lothbrok family was already dining. Ivar, Hvitserk, and Ubbe noticed her entrance, drawing everyone's attention, while Sigurd remained uninterested.

"Come in, take a seat," Queen Aslaug invited, offering a reassuring smile to the nervous girl. "We've just started; I thought you might never show up."

"I'm sorry for being late," Sophie said, noticing Ivar rolling his eyes and Ragnar studying her every move with his intense gaze.

"I knew you'd be late," Ragnar remarked, ignoring the look from Queen Aslaug. "You're always late."

Queen Aslaug cleared her throat. "Take a seat over here," she said as a servant placed a chair for her next to Ubbe, who was sipping his drink and glaring at Ivar.

"Thank you," Sophie said quietly as Queen Aslaug smiled.

"How's sword fighting?" Queen Aslaug inquired, addressing both Sophie and Ubbe.

"Good," Sophie smiled.

"We started with archery today," Ubbe added, looking down at Sophie beside him.

"That's good," the Queen smiled, while everyone else remained silent except for Hvitserk, who was chuckling for reasons unknown to Sophie. She occupied herself by watching a young servant who could have easily been her in different circumstances serving the food.

One word described the feast—awkward.

"Tell us about yourself," Aslaug urged after a moment of silence while everyone ate. Sophie despised being asked that question.

"Why should a slave dine with us?" Ivar questioned, his gaze shifting between the Queen and the King. "And why should you care about whoever she is in the first place?"

"Ivar," Queen Aslaug cautioned her son, the smile still on her face.

"No, Mother, I'm just curious," Ivar persisted. "Perhaps she has bewitched you both."

Sophie looked up at Ivar, who sat in front of her, their eyes meeting as she glared at him before shifting her gaze to Ragnar, who sat at the head of the table, opposite the Queen. His face was inscrutable, his eyes glinting strangely as they locked onto hers.

Returning her attention to her plate, Sophie flinched as Sigurd slammed his cup on the table, causing his chair to fall over before he stormed out of the hall.

Queen Aslaug closed her eyes and took a deep breath before looking down at Sophie with an assuring smile that Sophie failed to reciprocate this time.

"I think I should go," she said, beginning to stand, but Aslaug stopped her.

"No, please, stay," Queen Aslaug insisted, causing Ivar to burst into laughter.

Ubbe sighed. "Everything is funny to you, little brother?" he asked Ivar, who ignored the question and continued to glare at Sophie.

"Perhaps she has bewitched you too, brother," he jeered.

"Perhaps," Ubbe responded, surprising Sophie.

"Ah, I knew it," Ivar smirked. "What does our little angry Christian witch slave have to say about that?"

"She's not a slave anymore," Ubbe declared.

"Is she not?" Ivar challenged his father, who remained silent while he smirked.

Sophie found herself pondering the same question. Was she still a slave, or had she become a free woman?

She concluded that she didn't need to know, standing up and thanking the Queen for the dinner before walking out.

Some things were better left unknown.

note

Hello, hope you're all doing fine. I'm gonna be honest and tell you all that I'm not quite sure where this story is headed, except maybe I have the ending plotted somehow. All I care about for now is that you guys are enjoying it and I wanna thank all those of you who keep voting on every chapter! ❤

P.S. if you have any ideas/ recommendations in mind I'll be more than happy to hear them.