Chapter One

Chapter One

The streets are quiet that night, not many people can be seen passing by the small shops and businesses that make up the main part of the town. It isn't that unusual for a Monday, late into the evening. Most of the shops have already closed for the day, ready to open again bright and early the next morning. The only two places on the block that are still lit up and open for business are the biggest rivals in town.

Nobody can understand why since their businesses are quite drastically the opposite of each other. One being a quaint and cozy little cafe, and the other being a more modernized bar. One is more light and open, bright-colored walls and ceiling, while the other has few windows and has few lights inside. While one plays loud, almost obnoxious music, the other plays more light and mellow sounds. Where one serves alcohol, the other serves coffee.

It really is a bit peculiar how two businesses that normally wouldn't be very opposing, could have built up such a rivalry with each other. The only things that they seem to have in common is the fact that they are located on the same street, and are both food service establishments.

However, if anyone was to take a gander into what truly makes up the so-called rivalry between both the cafe and the bar on the northside of town, they will only become more perplexed than they already are by the arrangement.

Inside the dark exterior of Wither, the main culprit for such a rivalry stands behind the dark mahogany-colored bar with that always too bright and optimistic smile spread across his face. Even though the night is slow, he keeps up a good attitude. Joking with the regular customers like usual and automatically serving them their favorite alcoholic beverages without having to be reminded of their preferred poison.

"How are the kids doing, Randy?" Kyan asks the middle aged man with a bald spot the size of a cantaloupe on the top of his head. The man takes a seat on the bar stool in front of him, Kyan already pouring out the whiskey on the rocks that he knows is the man's prefered drink.

Randy takes the glass of golden-hued alcohol that's offered to him with a grateful smile, taking a small sip before answering the young man's question. "They are testing my patience as of lately," the man says with a deep sigh, most-likely thinking back to something his children must have done recently that has pushed his already strained nerves.

Kyan smiles sympathetically at the older man and gives him a small pat on the shoulder. Being a bartender you get to hear a lot about people's personal problems. While under the influence of alcohol a lot of people liked to vent about things they normally wouldn't tell anyone in normal, everyday conversation. That's how Kyan was able to learn that Randy's wife had passed away a few months before and he is now trying to raise his three teenage daughters on his own, as well as keep up with his ever-busy work schedule from being the assistant to one of the biggest CEO's in the city.

"I'm sure they are just being teenagers," Kyan tells the man reassuringly, allowing the smile to spread across his face as he fondly thinks back to himself as a teenager. He was probably what you'd call the worst kind of teenager. Rebellious, sarcastic, and always picking fun at anyone he could. Looking back he regrets how much of a prick he was back then.

"Kyan knows all about being a rebellious teenager," a slightly amused, female voice says. Suddenly behind the man at the bar.

Kyan lets out an offended sound as he turns to playfully pout at the girl that now stood behind him. Gin stands a foot shorter than Kyan, an inch just under five feet tall.