Chapter 9 - Hill 727

January 27, 1943, Ousseltia Valley

It's been something over two months since my birthday. And two months since I've been somewhat close to someone. Pierson and I are still talking to each other, of course, but having the whole platoon around whilst moving into Tunesia doesn't give us much of a chance to get a private chatter. At least I can catch a glimpse of the way he looks at me from time to time. By now, I gave up on denying the feelings I have for my Lieutenant. But I still keep it a secret, of course. I'm just admiring him from a safe distance. Like right now. Currently, we are somewhere near Ousseltia Valley in our camp. Aiello and I are sitting on a stone, eating lunch and waiting for the other two boys to come back. I didn't even notice I was staring at Pierson for such a long time until Aiello speaks up.

"Are you going to eat this?"

I turn my head towards him.

"Huh?"

"Are you going to eat this, or will you continue to stare at Pierson?" he asks again.

I feel my head heating up. Well shit.

"Yeah, no I'm eating it. Ask Baker or Adams if they're willing to share with you."

Demonstratively I take a bite from my food. I'm not particularly hungry, but I know I have to eat. Not realizing it, my eyes wander back to Pierson.

"You're doing it again," Aiello says laughing. I shoot him an annoyed look to which he holds his hands up in defense.

"Hey, I'm just messing with you. Besides, I think it's cute that you like him."

I roll my eyes and focus on my food again.

After finishing it, I realize that Baker and Adams have not returned yet.

"Where are they?" I ask Aiello who just shrugs his shoulders.

"I dunno." He gets up and reaches his hand out for me. I grab it.

"Let's go and look for them."

We walk around camp for a bit until we finally find them hiding near the command tent. The second they spot us they wave us over. We crouch down beside them.

"What's going on?" Aiello whispers.

"Not sure, but it sounds like they are putting us under British Command. Some Major from the S.O.E is in there, discussing with them. I think his name is Cor- no, Cro- Crow-something, I don't know," Adam answers, whispering too.

"His name is Crowley. What the fuck are you doing there?"

Startled, we turn around, looking at Pierson, standing there with his hands on his hips and an angry look on his face. Shit.

Before anyone of us could say something, he shakes his head.

"Get lost."

We jump up and quickly make our way to our tent. I don't dare to look back at him, he's probably disappointed in us. In me.

Back at our tent we sit down on our cots.

"British command? Are you sure?" Aiello asks.

"Yes, absolutely. And before you ask me, I have no idea why."
"What's that S.O.E you mentioned?" I face Adams.

"British special forces. Must be something important if they send some special agent over here."

"Oh great."

"Or maybe he's just here to evaluate (l/n) over here," Baker grins.

"At least I'm important enough to get evaluated at all," I grimace. He just shoots a grimace back and we laugh.