Chapter 5 - SS Duchess of Bedford

a/n: (in case somebody is confused) SS (here) is a ship's prefix meaning steamship

_____________________________

October 26, 1942 – Grenoch Harbor, Scotland

Today is the day we are finally departing for good. Also, temporarily, the last day we're getting mail. The day before we took the train to Scotland, I finally managed to write an answer to my family (not being supervised by Pierson). And they responded with a package with some stuff they deemed useful, a book (The Hobbit), a diary and some pens so I don't get bored. I highly doubt I will get bored on a battlefield or a war in general, but I will definitely get bored on the boat since we will be on there for about 2 weeks. And maybe I will get some rest time between fights. We'll see. A letter was in the box, too. I think they finally accepted that I will not change my mind so they sent me best luck and that they will be thinking about me. My mum begged me to stay alive, which I intent to do, of course, and to write her as much as possible. Though I don't like writing letters I decide that I am going to do her a favor and send the requested letters, since she should definitely know that I'm still alive. These letters will probably just contain the words "You still need to kill me yourself, mum" but better than nothing. Man, I really am antisocial.

I never wrote a diary before. But considering about what's going on it might be a good way to keep my thoughts together and document everything for the posterity in case I can't tell these stories myself. But that's just plan b, plan a is that I will survive this shit and tell it all myself.

"(l/n)? You ready? We will board the ship now." Aiello enters the room looking at me expectantly. He is already carrying all of his stuff. I nod.

"Yeah, almost. Just gotta pack this stuff somewhere", I point at my presents.

"You need help?"

I nod again.
"Yeah, that'd be great."

Aiello drops his bags and kneels beside me since I laid everything on the floor.

"Ah, no wait. I'll put this in my pocket, thanks." I grab the diary he just picked up and one of the pens and stuff it into my pocket. This way I always have it by hand in case I do want to write something down.

"Oh, The Hobbit. Never read it." He stows the book into my backpack.

"I'll give it to you when I'm done reading it," I smile at him.

"Oh, when's that gonna be? In 3 years?" He laughs.

"Something like that, yeah." I join his laughter.

Suddenly Turner raises his voice from outside.

"Everyone, last call, get your stuff and get onto the boat! Hurry up, we got a schedule to stick to!"

Aiello and I look at each other.

"Shit, (l/n), I'm scared. I know I always said I wasn't, but I am." Aiello admits. His eyes show the same emotion. I force a smile and hug him.

"I know. Me too."

I feel him tightening his arms around me.

"Promise me you won't die and leave me alone out there, okay?" He slightly moves away holding my shoulders in a grip and watches me seriously.

"I won't. Promise." I glance at him mirroring his expression before giving him a quick smile.

"Come on. Shouldn't keep them waiting." I get up and stretch my hand out for him to take it. Without hesitation he does. Also, his tensed expression fades and is replaced by his usual cocky, slightly arrogant one.