Chapter 1 - Daughter

(y/n) - your name

(s/n) - sisters name (if you don't have one just pretend you do :D)

(m/n) - mothers name

________________________________________________

April 29, 1942

The family dinner might have not been the best timing to tell my family I joined the army. My mother keeps staring at me with a face of both shock and disappointment, my older sister has her head tilted downwards and avoids looking at me. My father looks shocked, too, but I can see that he is trying to hide the fact that he was kinda proud of me. He just simply can't show it in front of my mum.

She opens her mouth but closes it immediately after. She wants to say something, but she is lost for words. Ah yes, another disgraceful thing of me to do, though I thought she'd be used to it by now. Guess I am wrong. Maybe it's the fact that I decided to risk my life in the army.

"Why can't you just be a normal girl for once in your life. Just once," She finally brakes the silence and looks at me. I know what will follow now. 'Be more like your sister. She always did everything right. She's the perfect woman.'

"Just look at (s/n). Why can't you follow her example? She's already engaged to a great man and knows how to take care of him."

"Yeah, I know. But I tried that too, remember? It didn't end that well," I sigh. Don't say it, don't say it.

"Yes, I remember. Maybe if you would've been prepared a little better, you'd still be together with that man." Oh, she did say it.

"(m/n)! This is enough. That man wasn't good for (y/n), when will you finally accept that!" My father intervenes. Mum opens her mouth, again, but dad gives her a look that makes her close it again really fast. She rolls her eyes and decides to continue eating. My father turnes towards me.

"Unfortunately, I have to agree with your mother this time. Joining the army is just," he goes silent, thinking about the right word to say, "madness!"

I take a bite of food. Chewing I face him and nod.

"I know. That's why I am doing it. Mum over here," I tilt my head in the direction of my mother, "thinks I am insane anyways. 'Cause I don't have a boyfriend or fiancé anymore, you know. Or because I prefer hunting with you over learning how to cook."

Dad hides a chuckle. He knows exactly what I am talking about. Contrary to mum, he lets me do what I wanted to do. Well, at least most of the time. The first time I asked him to take me hunting with him he was not quite happy either, but he allowed me to join him anyways. And ever since this beautiful sunny day in the summer of 1930 he took me hunting with him. I was 8 at that time.

Now I am 20, about to turn 21 this year, and, according to my mum, the disgrace of the family. I still love her though. I know that she just wants the best for me but ending up as a housewife is not what I wanted. She looks at me again, worried.

"Please don't do this. Go there and tell them to sign you out. Why did they sign you up in the first place? You are a woman, not a man!"

"Well, I actually don't know. I guess I can be very convincing," I answer.

To be honest, this is the truth. I just went to the nearest US Army recruiting station and told them I wanted to join the armed forces. They laughed at me first and told me to get back home and to the kitchen. But I didn't move. I joined their laughter first, dropping it really quick and changing back to a serious face and continued to blankly stare at them until they stopped laughing and asking me if I was in fact being serious. Realizing, I was, they took me to a higher officer and described the situation to him. Safe to say, he was as surprised as they were. But unlike them he didn't laugh, he asked why I wanted to join the army. I told him the truth: that I just want to fight for my country and that I don't have the plans a woman my age usually has. I explained to him that I was taught how to hunt, and therefor know how to handle a rifle. And that my father wouldn't make it out alive this time. He already risked his life in the first World War and I don't want him to go through this again.

"Let me join. Let me fight. I swear I'll be as valuable as any of your men. Maybe even better. In case I'm not I'm going to die anyways," I pleaded.

"You really want to go? Are you a 100 percent certain?" He questioned me with a stern face. I took a deep breath then nodded.

"Yes. I assure you I am 100 percent certain."

He kept his gaze on me and tapped his desk with his finger, thinking about what to do. During this time I did not allow myself to let my eyes wander. I continued looking him in the eyes with an equally stern look as his.

"Alright. Alright. If this is really what you want. Heh, my daughter is like you," He chuckled slightly, shaking his head. "Always with the head through the wall. I'll make an exception for you. If you're just half as good as you state you are that's already enough." He grabbed some papers and shoved them into my direction.

"Fill them in. I'll take care of the rest. I will inform you if you're accepted."

"Quite convincing, yeah?" (s/n) finally speaks up, lifting her head.

"Yup. I am actually still surprised that worked. Thought it would be a lot harder. But the acceptance letter came just a few days later. Guess I was lucky the officer's daughter is like me."

"I am not allowing it," Mum interrupts.

"Thank god," (s/n) mutters under her breath. I shoot her a glance. She ignores it.

"Mum, I'm 20 years old. I think I am capable of making my own decisions."

"No, you're obviously not. You're out of your mind."

"I will go. And you will not stop me." With that I get up and leave the dining room. I walk straight to our backyard and enter the shed. I always come here when I need some time alone, to think or whatsoever. I glanced at the hunting rifles and stepped towards a specific one. The one I learned how to shoot with. I slightly stroke over it. Shooting at targets or even animals is something different then shooting people. Will I be able to kill someone? I sigh. I have to. Whoever I will encounter will be an enemy. And if I don't eliminate them first they will definitely kill me. It is too late now anyways. I will be departing to Fort Benning, Georgia for my basic training tomorrow. 

__________________________________________

first chapter, yey! 

yes, i was kinda lazy to make up a good story about how she/you was/were accepted in the army, sorry about that. 

i'll try to write and update as fast as possible, but please have mercy if it does take me a longer while :D