I walked to the edge of the bridge and gently lowered myself, grunting as my knees creaked and moaned. I get older, and my body practically disintegrates on me with each passing year. I ran my fingers over the jagged edge, sighing as I let my body take a necessary breather. I could spare a few minutes to rest. The walkers are at least an hour behind me, and those freaks have to move at their pace. I gently laid my sword over my lap as I dangled my legs off the edge, resting my head against the marred wall.

"I'm back," I softly spoke, my eyes shutting briefly, "I know. So soon, right?" A smile spread across my face as I reopened my eyes, focusing on the violent waters below me. "Oh, mi amor, it's a shit show." I paused for a few seconds as if giving him a moment to reply. Maybe I'm losing my mind or something because most times, I hear him in my head when I come down here.

"First, our daughter brought five strangers back to Alexandria. They're alright people, and thanks to them, I finally went to the Hilltop."

That's great! Someone should've brought in a few strangers earlier, huh, sweetheart? I smiled as his voice rang in my head.

"I know," I giggled, "Bad news is that Maggie has gone AWOL. She's off doing who knows what with Georgie. The worst news is that Jesus is dead."

Jesus, really? What the hell happened?

"There's this new group—they wear masks made out of walker skin. They got him. They've got two others; that's why I'm out here. I need to find them and bring them back home." I explained, a frown spreading across my face as I thought about my new 'friends.'

Be safe, June. If they can walk undetected by walkers and blend in, it's not safe to be out here alone.

"I know. I know," I muttered, raising a hand to run through my sweaty hair, "I outran them two miles back. I wanted to talk to you for a few minutes before running home. I bit my lip and dropped my gaze, a pang of guilt churning in my stomach.

What's wrong, sweetheart? You look like something's bugging you.

Another sigh escaped me, and I shook my head, feeling insane. He's gone, but here I am, conversing with him in my head as if he were standing right in front of me! I've lost my grip on reality.

Tell me, June. I can tell there's something on your mind.

"Last night," I started, my voice low and remorseful, "I kissed Daryl." His voice in my head didn't say a single word, and I could almost see the look of betrayal flash across his face in my mind. "I-I'm sorry. I-I-I don't know what came over me. It just h-happened." A single tear slipped through my eye, staining my cheek as it trailed downwards. "S-say something, please!"

It's okay.

The gasp that left me was involuntary. I felt my mouth open, but no words left me. God, I'm losing my goddamn mind. I wiped my cheek and patted the blackened wall, deciding to cut my visit short. Once I return, I could talk to Sel or Siddiq and see if hearing this voice in my head is normal. I doubt it is, but it would be nice to have the confirmation.

It's okay to move on, June. It's been six long years; you must be lonely.

"I-I don't think I'm ready to move on," I muttered, lifting myself, my fingers tightly gripping my sword's handle, "I still hear your voice in my head! I talk to you, for crying out loud, and you're dead!" I shut my eyes and shook my head, trying to get a grip. If anyone caught me speaking to myself like this, they'd keep a close eye on me. Hell, this kind of behavior would have been grounds for institutionalization.

I kissed my fingers and pressed them against the concrete, a force of habit and a silent way to say goodbye without actually saying the words. I involuntarily said goodbye to him once—I don't think I could say it willingly. I turned on my heel and stretched my limbs out, preparing myself for the two-mile run I still had ahead of me. Grabbing my ankle, I pulled it back against my hamstring and moaned at the pulling sensation before repeating the same thing on the other side. I grabbed the picture from my back pocket, smiling at the four faces that beamed back at me. Everything I do, it's all for them. I can't afford to lose my mind or get caught out here. Neatly folding the photo, I secured it back in my pocket and moved away from the bridge, trying to amp myself to pick up the pace.

I rotated my wrists on their axis, swinging my sword along with them, and stretched out my neck. Two miles, I can do it—piece of cake. Just as I was about to start jogging, a branch breaking caught my attention. All was quiet around me, so it couldn't be the horde. Plus, I would've heard them long ago. How did those whisperer fucks find me? I tightened my grip on my weapon and moved forward slowly, eyes scanning the trees for the masked assholes. A slow and steady breath escaped my nose as I slowly walked into the treeline, my heart racing.

Suddenly, a pair of arms wrapped around my neck, cutting off my air supply. I released my weapon, my eyes going wide at the unexpected attack. I could hear my weapon clatter to the ground, and my heart started pounding violently in my ears as I locked my left hand over my right wrist. I hunched over, bringing my attacker with me, and jerked my elbow back several times, hearing deep grunts as each blow landed. The grip around my neck slacked, forcing me to move quickly. I grabbed the thick wrist that loosely hung around my neck and hip tossed my aggressor to the ground.

A man landed harshly in front of me, dressed in what appeared to be black tactical gear. I can't focus on his attire right now. I need to find out who he is and why he's attacking me. He kicked his leg out, sweeping my legs out from underneath me before quickly moving to straddle me. He pinned my arms above my head, straining to catch his breath as he restrained me. Panic swelled within me like a tsunami as I tried to focus on my previous training. I bucked my hips and turned my head, feeling the man's lower body jerk forward and his grip loosen. Snowangeling my arms down, I broke free from his grip and clasped my hands together, buckling his arm downwards, further disorienting him. I trapped my foot around his ankle and bucked my hips again, throwing him off me. My fist balled tightly, and I flung it forward, not wasting any time to incapacitate him.

A resounding crunch hit my ears when my fist made contact with his face, and blood spurted from his nose. He shielded his face as my fist pounded down on him once more. I gripped him by the hair tightly as he bucked me off him, rolling through and bringing my knee up to his temple. He lay flat on the ground, his eyes starting to flutter closed as I straddled him again, my fist connecting a final time and knocking him out. I let out a breath of relief and started to examine him, wondering where he came from. I've never seen this man before in my life, and he seems to be wearing a uniform of sorts. Yeah, Alexandria, Hilltop, Oceanside, and the Kingdom can't gatekeep the state of Virginia, but we would have noticed people dressed all in black gear moving past us. Who is this man, and why did he attack me? What does he want? Is he alone, or are there more just like him? God, we can't take on another enemy, not when these masked people wander among the walkers. I moved down his body, my hands patting him down for weapons.

"Stand up slowly and turn around," A new voice emerged from behind me, followed by the cocking of a gun.