Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Doyoung gets a basket from the supermarket to fulfill his groceries. He just got paid today and he finally paid his debt last month. The debt was from his friend Kun who became his friend after being his coworker at his part-time job. He borrows money for him because of the old lady's hospital bills and last month is his last time paying it. He thanked Kun for not asking him for the interest and he slowly paid it. Now, he is free from debt and can start to save more money for his plans. 

Doyoung checks the rack of the grocery store. He went to the detergent section only to see a familiar younger male having a hard time picking a product. 

"Oh, Isn't Jaemin-ah?" Doyoung flashes his gummy smile as the younger male looks at him with surprise but only runs to Doyoung and hugs him. 

"Hyung! I miss you!" Jaemin hugs Doyoung tightly, not wanting to let him go. 

"How's my favorite dongsaeng?" asks Doyoung and pat the young male's head. 

"I-I'm fine... But enough of me hyung! I miss you so much! After you leave the orphanage, I search for you but I got adopted when I was fifteen." Jaemin mutters, deep affection and sadness reflecting his eyes. Doyoung studied the younger face, looking for something he was familiar with... Bruises. 

"I plan to cook your favorite today. Can I invite you to my house?" Doyoung carefully asked. Jaemin shudders but there's a hint of hope and hesitation written on his face and Doyoung gritted his teeth at the sight of it. 

"Forget that I asked. Let's just go." Doyoung said and holding the young male's wrist only sees scars that Jaemin is trying to hide by his long sleeves. He pulled his hand to Doyoung and smiled at him but still followed him. 

--

They made it to Doyoung's apartment. The place is good for three people and Doyoung rented it with Kun's name. His friend wanted to give his house to him but Doyoung rejected him instead of renting it and now that he finished the debt, he could start to proceed with their contract. Kun offered the house for Doyoung to buy but Doyoung had previous plans. After seeing Jaemin, he knows well that he needs this house for his dongsaeng. 

Jaemin's eyes are bright while sitting on the wide sofa. The living room is wide, with tv and speakers. He sat comfortably while waiting for Doyoung to finish cooking their lunch. 

Doyoung watches Jaemin eating with gusto. He recalled that in the orphanage, Chenle and Jaemin are the kids he takes care of the most. When he gets back to see them, the orphanage has already gotten them adopted and Doyoung is happy enough that the foster parents get them to be good people. He made sure of it but Jaemin... He didn't know what happened to him, why he had so many scars and bruises all over. It made him anxious. Did he also experience what happened to him? Are his foster parents abusive? But he checked it himself! Doyoung bites his lower lip and continues to eat. He will ask Jaemin later. For now, they need to eat. 

--

They were watching movies and Doyoung watched Jaemin keep entertained with the cartoons he didn't know the title of. Jaemin is already 20 and in Korea, that's the certain age that he could independently make decisions with his life. Doyoung plans to get Jaemin to live with him. 

"Hyung... You can ask me anything. I know you're curious about what happened to me and Chenle." Jaemin jerked his head to meet Doyoung's gaze. He sees Jaemin turning off the tv and starts to unbutton his clothes. 

Doyoung knew by that time how much Jaemin suffered. He watches the younger male wear off his clothes and sees only many scars. Doyoung corner eye teared up but he held himself. He clenches his teeth while looking at his brother. 

"I met my foster parents when I was fifteen, hyung. I did not expect it, well Chenle and I have a plan and that includes finding you even if we live in the streets. We orphans could take that, you know." Jaemin flashes a smile, recalling his youth with his brothers. 

"Chenle is the first one to be adopted but Do you believe it, Hyung? He found his true father and he was a business tycoon in China! I was happy for him. I made him go with them and forget our plan because I know all of the people that Chenle likes to have a family and his family comes for him. I-I... I didn't want to... But I let him go, saying promises that if we meet again, we could do our plans and find you hyung... You are first and only our family. But after two days, I was adopted... They were good people. They gave me home, clothes, and food." Jaemin stopped speaking and raw tears started to fall from his eyes. 

"I-I was eighteen when we got into a car accident. I got into a coma after 8 months and my mother only survived that accident just to die weeks after I woke up." Jaemin's eyes are full of tears making Doyoung want to hug the younger but Jaemin shook his head and continued to tell him the story. 

"I got to live in their house but the real kids kicked me out, I live in the streets hyung... I endure it even in winter, there's a church for homeless people and sometimes they feed me soup. I was lost but I tried my best to live because I promise both of you, my brothers, that we will become a family. I started to ask for help from the people I met. I got tons of part-time jobs but I'm weak hyung... I just became a burden and lost my job in the process. The accident made my back hurt and I can't do heavy stuff anymore... Well, I have savings to fix it with surgery but it cost me that's why I'm trying to save all my life. I met a good hyung who hired me in a cafe. I live in a small quarter in the store but today, I need to buy some stuff but I don't know what brand of detergent I used and miraculously you found me Hyung!" Jaemin stops crying and only wipes his tears wearing a lopsided grin. 

"Then tell me exactly what happened to your face? Why do they have bruises?" Doyoung asked, darkening his eyes. He waited for Jaemin to tell him the story before he snapped. 

"Oh, This? There were jerks in a cafe last time. They harass Yeri- my coworker and I take the punch. Don't worry hyung. Yuta hyung already called the police and took those bastards with them." Jaemin said. He touches his face but only to irk because of the bruises. 

Doyoung sighs with relief. He is glad that Jaemin found good people and took care of him. He wanted to thank this Yuta guy who gave Jaemin a helping hand. 

"I went back to the orphanage when I found my place to stay and a job. I plan to adopt both of you but the director told me that you already adopted and I'm late. I... I searched for it, I badly wanted to make sure that you both are in good hands though, finding Chenle is hard but my friend Kun helps me to gather information and I know that Chenle is in good hands though I did not give attention to his real parents. I also see you in your high school uniform. It suits you punk!" Doyoung said and helped Jaemin wear his sleeves. 

"Hyung... I know that... I'm already at the right age and you did not need to take care of me... But... I miss you hyung... Can I... I..." Jaemin fidgets while his red-shot eyes look at Doyoung. He wanted to ask him if he could stay with Doyoung but he is embarrassed, he doesn't want to be a burden with his hyung. Jaemin is happy enough that he sees him and can be with him even if they did not live together. 

"What are you thinking, punk? I will not ask you to live with me because that's supposed to be given, we're family. You will move here right now." Doyoung mutters while hugging Jaemin. He heard the younger male sobs and hugged him back, more tightly. Doyoung can feel how delicate Jaemin is and how he misses his brother. Even if they aren't blood-related... Chenle and Jaemin are Doyoung's one and only family. 

"Let's go to the cafe. I can buy you clothes but I think you still have important stuff you need to retrieve." Jaemin's eyes widened and shook his head. He doesn't like Doyoung to spend money on him. He has savings and even if it's for his back, it still can be used to buy necessary stuff such as clothes and his daily needs. Jaemin is willing to share his money with Doyoung but the older man is stubborn as if Jaemin didn't know. He sighs under his breath.