𝟶𝟷 - 𝚁𝚎𝚊𝚙𝚒𝚗𝚐

Start from the beginning

"Dylan Jaymes!"

I saw Finnick look at me like he was trying to ask me something. Almost like he was asking what to do, but I couldn't answer. He looked older, 17 or 18. He walked up the stairs, also with a smirk on his face.

I looked back at Finnick, he almost seemed relieved. Relieved that this guy might be able to keep me alive. A slight chance I might live. Sure, I was good with throwing stars, knives, and maybe a sword, but besides that.

Dylan looked at me with a smile. Not a fake smile, a genuine one. I returned it as we shook hands. We then turned back to the crowd, holding hands. Dylan lifted his free arm, almost instructing me to do so also. I followed.

He gave our district a full smile as I gave one similar. The peacekeepers dragged us into the Justice Building, our escort almost in tears at Dylan's act.

We were split into two rooms. The room had light blue wallpaper with a line of fish hooks. There was a white couch, with a rug colored in gradients of blue. Bookshelves, dressers, vased white roses, it looked very plain. I sat on the white sofa, thinking of how I could win.

The door burst open to reveal Annie, looking terrified and her eyes and cheeks flushed red from crying.

"I'm so sorry Tessa, I'm so so sorry." She cried into my dress. "Try to win, okay? Try please try." She begged, there wasn't much she could say."Stay safe here in 4, Annie," I whispered in her ear. She giggled a bit. "I should be giving you that advice." I smiled in her sleeve. "Smile bright. Be your funny, positive self. Win, of course. Please win."

She was cut off by a Peacekeeper dragging her from the room. "Annie. Annie!" I yelled and tried to get back to her. "Tess. Tessie!" She pleaded for me, being forcefully pushed back, passed the doors. Tears now gushed down my cheeks and onto my dress. I sat back down on the sofa, crying my eyes out. I knew where this would lead. Maybe I could help Dylan win?

I felt two arms pull me up from the couch and into a hug. "I'm sorry, Tess. I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Finnick. He seemed to be crying too, probably holding in his tears to seem strong for me."Annie give you any advice?" He sniffed. I couldn't reply, just nod my head a bit."Okay, remember," He pulled me out of the embrace and held my chin up with his fingers."make them like you. Become a Capital favorite, make it look like you're weak but not too weak. Don't show off your strength, and maybe you won't get killed first. Try to win okay. Remember me, remember Annie, remember District 4."

Finnick handed me something, a shark tooth necklace. His shark tooth necklace.

"Finnick I can't take this. It's yours." He nodded his head and smiled."Don't you remember? You found it for me, and gave it to me as a gift." I nodded, remembering now. I hugged him again, wanting the moment to last forever.

But he was dragged away too, not as aggressively as Annie was, but still he was gone.

~

Our escort was telling me about the train ride to the capital, and the 3 weeks before the games. Dylan wasn't present, he was probably in his room. Our mentor came out and introduced herself. Her name was Sapphire Ray, and she won her games by killing 2 tributes, sticking to herself and no other allies. She suggested that I do the same, but I wanted to team with Dylan, who still hadn't come out yet.

"Act like you're happy to be here. Act like this is an opportunity for you." Sapphire talked to me as we ate. We will be arriving tomorrow at noon. I had enough of her talking.

"I'm going to find Dylan." I wiped my mouth and stood up."Okay, sleep well." Our escort told me. I smiled at her before walking off to the back of the train. I knocked on Dylan's door."Dylan? Sapphire's giving some advice on surviving. Also dinner's ready."

I didn't hear a response, just a sniffle."Dylan?" I whispered."Can I come in?" I asked not thinking he would actually let me in. He opened the door to reveal his eyes bright crimson red, his hair scruffy, and tears still streaming down his cheeks."Yeah, come in." He stepped aside so I could enter. I stepped in slowly, and he closed the door.

"Sorry about--" I hugged him."No, it's okay, I cried too." He immediately hugged me back."No one came to see me after the reaping." I was shocked."I'm sorry Dyl." I muttered as he towered over me, somehow still managing to hug me."It's stupid but I felt hurt. An 18-year-old crying over something that happened over 4 years ago."

My dress was soaked now."It's not stupid." I whispered. We just stood like that for a while before Dylan calmed down."I'm sorry about...your dress." He scratched the back of his head."No, it's fine I hated this ol' thing." I laughed. He smiled and looked down."There's that smile."

edited 11/3/23

Word Count
{1608}