38 ~ Rest to a Wraith

Start from the beginning

"Thomas?"

The, who was in fact Thomas, looked over.

"It is Thomas, isn't it?" 

He knew Thomas fairly well after all they had been through with Grant...he should probably warn him about Grant at some point.

"Corporal Barrow now, Mister Crawley." Thomas corrected, his speech a bit slurred from the ringing in his ears.

Matthew nodded. "Pleasure to see you again, Corporal."

-----------------

Night fell over the trench as the bombs and gunfire halted for the moment, the men still in attack mode if anything were to happen. The sound of an accordion carried through the walls as one of the soldiers tried to lighten the mood while many of the men dug out the excess dirt blown in from the explosions. Yet, for the moment, it was quiet. 

Thomas sat in a nook over a small fire, sipping on some hot tea he had freshly made to warm him in the chilling January air. 

"You look very comfortable there, Corporal."

Thomas pulls himself from the hollow and simulates him. Matthew salutes back with a warm smile. Thomas sits back down the gestures to the tea. "Would you like some, sir? We've got condensed milk and sugar."

Matthew takes him up on his offer, sitting across from him and removing his helmet feeling the warm fire on his cold cheeks. "I won't ask how you managed that."

Thomas hands him a cup and removed his own helmet. "Go on, sir."

Matthew took a sip and sighed contently. "That's nectar."

Thomas smiled. "It has a little cinnamon as well...Evelyn always made it that way. Made it taste like Christmas, she'd say. I started to believe her after a while...I think of Christmas now."

 Matthew's eyes lit up at the sound of her name. "A fond memory. You sure you can spare it?"

He nodded. "Gladly. If we can talk about the old days and forget about all this for a minute or two."

Matthew silently agreed. "Do you hear from anyone?"

Thomas wanted nothing more than to tell him he'd seen Evelyn only a week or so ago...but knew it wasn't the time and still wasn't his place to be involved. "Oh, yes. Miss O'Brien keeps me informed. Lady Edith's driving."

Matthew smiles.

"Lady Sybil's training as a nurse. Miss O'Brien tells me the hospital's busier than ever with the wounded coming in. That true?"

He shrugged. "I'm not sure. I didn't take my away time, I toured instead. They apparently had a concert there though, to raise extra funds." He looks at the cup of tea, seeing the little specs of cinnamon. "You mentioned Evelyn...have you heard from her?"

Thomas paused before shaking his head, lighting a cigarette to buy him some time while he decided whether or not to lie. "No. I don't suppose anyone has. There's been talk of America getting involved in the war. I'm sure they'll lift the bans then and she can come home." 

He nodded. "I suppose. That's why I didn't take my away time...I would have a woman waiting on me but not the one I want to see. As scummy as that sounds to say."

Thomas eyed him. "You have a woman...how wonderful."

Matthew shook. "Oh, no. A woman who has tried to pursue me for a while. Miss Lavinia Swire...a sweet girl." He reached into his chest pocket and pulled out the photo, handing it to Thomas. "But she isn't her...that is the woman who has my heart. Always will, I'm afraid."