16. Year: 1243 SL (Autumn)

In the brand-new dress that the king brought home from a faraway land, I waited in the castle gardens sounded by hundreds of rose bushes. The servants braided my hair and decorated it with jeweled hair pins. The castle itself glittered in the distance with ornamental paper lanterns.

I heard the familiar soft steps approaching from behind me. I turned to see Yijun in his armor carrying the head of a dragon. He was fatigued and beaten, but still smiling. I had long awaited his return. He knelt in the grass before me out of respect for me and my position.

"Princess Mei, I have returned from my quest. I give unto you the head of the dragon, which has plagued your lands for many years. You and your people will worry no more." Yijun kept his head bowed as he spoke.

I smiled at him, "I am glad to see you've returned to me safely, my champion."

Yijun picked his head up, after placing the dragons head at my feet, and looked me in the eyes, "I will always return to you. No matter how far I travel, or how dangerous my journey. I will serve you until my last breath."

"That's so cheesy!" I blurted out in a fit of laughter. 

Yijun groaned in annoyance. 

As the immersion broke, I no longer stood in a beautiful castle garden. Instead, we stood on the hill behind my house under the giant oak tree. The dragon's head morphed into the sack of rice Yijun carried from his house as a gift from his mom to mine. The castle faded away and the glowing lights of Pastow took its place. Yijun's armor transformed into his formal hanbok.

Yijun and I spent the next hour in our land of make believe. We did our best not to ruin our outfits that our parents put us in for the Lai-Shi festival that night while still fulfilling the fantasies in our heads.

As the sun began to set, and the world around us grew dark, Yijun stuck his hand into his pocket to search for something. He pulled out and item small enough to hide in his fist. 

He sheepishly said, "I know it won't compare to anything your dad got you, but I hope you like it."

Yijun opened his fist to reveal the dagger he got for his twelfth birthday. I gave him a confused look, since I knew how much he loved it, but then Yijun began carving into the bark of the oak tree. I watched from over his shoulder as he took his time to etch every letter.

"Happy birthday, Mei." Yijun smiled.

I returned the smile, "I love it."

"Mei! Yijun! Dinner is ready!" Eomma called from the front door of the house. The two of us raced down the hill leaving behind the inscription on the tree – a permanent memory that reads: 

I am forever her champion. She is forever my princess. 

Yijun & Mei.

***

This is the last entry I have for Mei at the moment!

Thank you to everyone who read this story. I'll post on my page if I add more stories, so make sure to follow to stay in the know. 

Once again, if you liked it, please leave a vote! 

I appreciate you reading thus far! <3

- GioVanna