Chapter 70

Chapter 70: She Wants me on the Team

"Hungry?" Caspian asked, as I stumbled into the kitchen.

"You can cook?" I rubbed my sore eyes.

"You tell me." Caspian set a plate of pancakes in front of me, causing my mouth to salivate.

"What time are we letting them out?" I asked, stabbing a pancake with my fork.

"Oh, we're not letting them out," Caspian replied. "Noah is."

I tilted my head in confusion.

"You're so cute when you're confused." Caspian kissed me on the corner of my mouth.

"I know." I shrugged and shoved a forkful of pancake into my mouth.

"Eww," I forced the bolus down my throat. "Salt instead of sugar," I explained.

"Oops," Caspian winced. . "They both look the same."

Caspian put his finger under my chin and lifted my face up towards his. "Let's get rid of that taste in your mouth." He laid his mouth on mine, filling my mouth with his breath. I laid both my hands atop his shoulders as I deepened the kiss. My heart leapt out of my chest, as if someone had reached into me and simply pulled it out. This kiss was his way of promising me that we would always be together.

Caspian broke the heated kiss and placed a soft kiss on the tip of my nose. "Let's get going." He stood up and left the keys on the table next to the inedible pancakes. "By the time Noah lets them out, the council would have left." Caspian explained, making me wonder how long I had slept for.

"Molly?" I asked.

"Noah's sobered down by now."

"Hopefully," I added.

"I love that you care about my family." Caspian hugged me to his chest.

I didn't bother telling him that Molly was the only one I truly cared about, since I was confident that he already knew that. She was so sweet, it was hard not to love her. It came as a surprise that she had such uncaring parents. But I guess that was the universe's way of balancing itself out. Parents sometimes had to learn from their children, in order to make the world a better place.

Caspian and I drove silently back to Stinger Headquarters. Caspian's hand rested on my thigh and I covered his hand with mine; his ability to drive with only one hand never ceased to amaze me. Of course if he drove with both hands, I wouldn't have a mini-heart attack every time we went around a bend; but I enjoyed the calmness his touch provided me with when we were on an open expanse of road.

"Where did you two go?" Amber asked the second we pulled off. Gregory Small had his arm looped around her shoulder. He was shirtless and she wore little to cover herself up; they were perfect for each other.

"My parents' house," Caspian replied.

"Victoria needs to see you," Gregory's rough voice piped in.

Caspian nodded. "Meet you in my room." He pecked my cheek and walked away.

I walked past Gregory and Amber, but not quickly enough. I felt nails dig into my skin as steel fists grabbed onto my arm. "You don't belong here," Gregory hissed close to my ears. His breath was colder than the morning and caused me to vibrate against my will.

I squirmed, trying to free myself. His arms strained with thick ropes of muscle, and I gulped nervously. It looked like he was capable of taking me out with very little effort.

"What do you think Victoria wants to talk to Caspian about?" Gregory asked, his mouth twisted into an evil grin that set my teeth on edge.

I shouldn't have been shocked, I knew sooner or later I'd have to leave. I just thought I'd have a bit of time to find somewhere else to stay.

Gregory released me and I staggered backwards. He raised his big hand as if to slap me, but he dropped it just before it came into contact with my face. Amber laughed shrilly, and if I wasn't so terrified of Gregory, I would have glared at her.

I pulled my legs into my chest and waited for Caspian to return. I rocked backwards and forwards waiting for Caspian to tell me what I already knew.

Fat droplets ran down my cheek and plopped noiselessly onto the bed sheets. I wept hot tears until I heard the door crack open. I stopped short and tried to wipe my tears away, but it was of no use; my red eyes said it all.

"You ok?" Caspian rushed to my side and gathered my shaking body into his arms. "Baby, what's wrong?" Caspian had never called me 'baby' before. I figured his use of the word could only mean that he was trying to distract me before he threw a bombshell on me.

"What-did-Victoria-want?" I hiccupped between each word.

"Nothing important." Caspian ran his fingers in circles across my back.

"Don't lie to me," I accused, pushing against his chest.

I climbed off the bed and looked down at him. "Please," I begged for the truth.

He took both my hands in his and kissed my knuckles.

"It's ok." Caspian's blue eyes looked up at me. "She just wanted to know if you were interested in becoming a Stinger," Caspian explained. "I already told her 'no'."

Tears continued to stream down my face. "And now I have to leave." It wasn't a question; it was more like a statement.

"Of course not." Caspian shook his head as if the mere thought was insane.

"Huh?"

"You're welcome to stay," Caspian said.

"Oh." I stopped crying, allowing confusion to overtake my sorrow.

"Victoria's not kicking you out," Caspian continued. "Wherever did you get that idea from?"

I shrugged as a reply. As satisfying as it would have been to throw Gregory under the bus, I didn't. I was worried Caspian would feel the need to take him on; and I wasn't looking forward to seeing a wounded Caspian again.

"So you don't want me to be a Stinger?" I enquired.

"You want to be a Stinger?" Caspian replied with a question, his eyebrows furrowed.

"No," I replied quickly, before he got the wrong idea.

Caspian chuckled. "I'm worried about why Victoria asked," Caspian explained. "What if she only wants you on the team so she can exact revenge on you for what your mother did."

Please vote and comment, if you enjoyed this chapter.