Chapter Twenty One - Three Eyes (Violet Choice) {Part 16}

Start from the beginning

"I'm glad to see that you understand (Y/N).. thank you.. I'm glad." James spoke, taking the mask from Clem.

"Have you ever killed a walker before?" Aj asked abruptly.

"Aj-" I spoke.

"I have. Many." James answered, Aj looked up at him.

"Have you ever killed a person?" He added. James frowned, looking defeated.

"...Many." He answered again. It was silent before he spoke again.

"But that was a long time ago." James looked off in the distance.

"I've killed someone before too." Aj spoke, Clem's head quickly turned towards him.

"Aj!-" She snapped. James' eyes widened.

"Y-You've killed someone?" James asked, astonished. Aj looked away but turned back, a sad but intense expression on his face.

"Yeah.. I'm a murderer.. but I'm trying to atone." Aj spoke sadly. I put my hand on his shoulder.

"Well.. that's good.. I guess." James muttered, Clem let out a small sigh.

"That's enough. What about the walkers? Are you going to help us save our friends?" Clem asked, handing him the walker mask. James looked at her and slowly took the mask.

"I.. thought I could.. but I can't. So many walkers would die. All the death this would cause.. I'm sorry Clementine... (Y/N)... I can't have more blood on my hands." James quickly spoke, turning away from us. My eyes widened.

"But James.. we need you. And I know how you feel about walkers, but they are our friends. And I risked my life to walk in your shoes, you should do the same for us and walk in ours. Please James, our friends might die." I begged, he was our only chance, any emotions I was holding in I couldn't hold in anymore, and I felt I was about to cry. Clem looked at me.

"(Y/N).." Clem muttered. I turned to her.

"Clem.. I blame myself for what happened to Louis.. maybe if I didn't get grabbed.. you would have had a chance to save him." I spoke, I felt so hopeless and guilty, remembering how he was caught and how we could have saved him. Clem looked me in the eyes.

"It's not your fault (Y/N). You can't control and know everything that will happen in a moment. I couldn't let them take you either. I wouldn't forgive myself either, and neither would Aj. You can't save everyone." Clem calmly spoke, I nodded.

"I know.." I muttered, James looked at us both then turned away. He clenched his fist and shook his head. He turned back towards us.

"I may be stubborn. But I'm not heartless." James spoke, he looked off into the distance and glared.

"Those "raiders" are cruel. They force others to be the same. And if your friends are anything like you.." James spoke, looking at me.

"....I don't doubt their worth saving." He agreed, I smiled and let out a breath I didn't know I was holding, Clem nodded and crossed her arms. James walked up to the barn doors.

"It will take some time to guide them through the forest. To the shore. Others will join the herd as they go." James finished, slipping the mask back on his face. Me and Clem walked up to him and nodded. I wanted to hug him, but I feel like he's not much of a hugger.

"James. Thank you.. I won't forget this." I smiled, Clem and Aj began to walk and I followed. I looked back at him a couple times before catching up with Aj and Clem.

"Tomorrow night. Be ready... I can't undo this." James called out behind us. Clem turned once and simply nodded. James turned and opened the barn door, we watched from the trees as the walkers began to walk out of the barn. Clem gestured for us to get moving. As Clem, Aj, and I began to walk back towards the school, Aj's hand slowly slipped between mine and I smiled, wiping away tears that had formed in my eyes.