The Dragon glared at her.

"The Chairman wanted all of us together for this," said Saccho the Horse Zodiac. "Let's wait for him to arrive."

The door to the conference room opened up.

"Hello!" cheerfully greeted a handsome blond man with amber eyes. He was Pariston Hill, the charismatic and cunning Rat Zodiac. "Sorry I'm late. My apologies!" He stepped into the room, sheepish rubbing the back of his head. He spoke in a pleasantly chirper voice, "Everyone is in a frenzy over what's going on with the East Gorteau. It's a big problem."

"It's whatever, just sit down," sighed the Ox.

Pariston pulled out a chair, purposefully moving it to the head of the table and smoothly sitting down. "Let's begin the meeting then."

"Oi! Why are you leading?" snarled the Tiger Zodiac, Kanzai.

"Oh? Is there a problem?"

Pyon didn't even look up from her phone as she said, "Don't boss us around after you show up late."

"Pariston, you're irritating! You creep! Get lost," snapped Cluck.

Pariston didn't lose his smile as he abashedly said, "I wasn't sure if I should lead. But you know, I'm the Vice Chairman. I outrank the rest of you, and I'm good at coordinating these things. I'm sure you all want to finish this quickly. If we rank by age, Botobai should lead. Judging by the ability to foster progress, Cheadle should lead. Both are better suited to the task than I. Would one of you be willing to take over?"

Cheadle smiled gently. "I'll refrain. You'd probably give me a hard time."

"I concur," said Botobai.

"Forget it. Just lead the meeting," said Saiyu. "Come and out say what you want to do, scumbag."

"In that case, if anyone objects to me leading this meeting, please raise your hand."

"I object! I object! I seriously object," cut in Cluck as she and three others raised their hands.

Pariston beamed. Without missing a beat, he smoothly continued in that saccharine tone of his, "That's four. The majority says I should continue. Of course, we can discuss any complaints as they arise. I'm ready to step down anytime. Then, I have a proposal. I will run for the position of Chairman, so let's not bother with an election."

At once every member of the Zodiac—excluding Gin—oozed murderous intent directed at Pariston. They glowered hatefully at the man with burning intensity. If looks could kill, Pariston would have been dead several times over.

Pariston did not drop his smile as he teased, "Scary! Everyone calm down. My point is that we'll waste time and money. We already know the results."

"No one here will vote for you," said Gel reproachfully.

"That's eleven votes," Pariston said coolly, his smile never wavering. "Together, you can only muster eleven votes. Do you know how many Hunters are in the Association? The late Chairman was too strong, so he couldn't understand the feelings of the weak. The same can be said for all of you. However, I can understand the weak. That is the kind of Chairman I seek to be."

"The weak end up as your slaves, working under the name of intermediaries," scoffed Pyon as she set her phone down. "How much have you made off them, Prince of Kickbacks?"

"Please, you have it wrong. I ask them to contribute to the pool. It's meant to help the Association expand."

"Eighteen," coldly cut in Mizaistom, the Ox Zodiac. "Do you know what that number represents? The number of Hunters who've gone missing in the three years since you became the Vice Chairman. As professionals who risk our lives, we're obligated to be aware of the situations our trusted associates are in. A missing Hunter is more bizarre than a Hunter's unexpected death. Before you became Vice Chairman, the average was zero-point-six Hunters missing per year. It's increased tenfold. Do you have something to say?"