I care

Bucky's PoV:

Bella's room was dark with a dim light shining through the walls and the monitor indicating her faint heartbeat.

Bucky sat down on the chair beside her bed and tenderly touched her hand. It was warm, and soft. And familiar.

"Hey," said Bucky, not sure why he was talking to a sleeping person knowing fully well she couldn't hear. "I need you to get better. I need you to live. I don't know why, I feel like you have helped me before. Maybe, you could do it again? I don't know anyone over here, but, they all seem familiar. And you the most. And yet they seem to have known me for ages. You seemed to care and, well, I didn't really treat you that well. Come back, Bella. I have no clue why, but I need you."

Bucky twined his fingers with hers and with the vibranium hand, gently caressed Bella's forehead

Bucky twined his fingers with hers and with the vibranium hand, gently caressed Bella's forehead. Before he knew what he was doing, he was already bending over her forehead, placing a chaste kiss upon it. He felt his eyes widen the moment his lips touched her skin; not just from shock, but also from recognition. He remembered this feeling. It had been there the very few minutes that Hydra had let him sleep. It was like taking a dip in a warm pool after spending hours in freezing water. It was peaceful. It was comforting.

He got up from the chair and before leaving, he spotted a silver teddy bear ring on Bella's bedside table. Somehow, it felt wrong. Like it didn't belong there. He picked it up and then slipped it through the ring finger of Bella's right hand. It looked better there.

Bucky left the room, tumultuous waves of bewilderment washing all over his body.

"So," said the greenish, taller than thou man sitting in front of Bucky, "we start our first session?"

"Yes," said Bucky, unsure how to converse with this man. "Absolutely."

"I am Dr. Bruce Banner, also known as the Hulk. You, I am told, are known as Bucky, or James Buchanan Barnes."

"Winter Soldier," said Bucky in a trembling voice as an odd shiver coursed through his body at the mention of James Buchanan Barnes. "They referred to me as soldier or Winter Soldier."

"Alright. So, you arrived here yesterday, and you agreed to go through this because you are not sure why everyone feels familiar even though you haven't met any of them before."

"Yes." Even though it wasn't a question, Bucky felt the need to answer it.

"Did you check up on Miss Fury today?"

"No. I woke up late and was sent to you."

"Well, she is much better today. Her heart rate has picked up and she should be out of the hospital in three or four days. Now, how does that make you feel?"

Bucky smiled at the thought of Bella being fine and then frowned, uncertain where this feeling came from.

"It is okay," said Bucky. "I don't feel bad for killing her now."